Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon Dan delaMare-Lyon is offline

Default Need to do a metric crapload of loft insulation

My mother has asked me about insulating their loft as she's noticed
that the fuel bills are rising and the general cost of keeping the
place warm is "going through the roof". It's an old solid walled
place so there's little or nothing we can do wall insulation wise
unless there is a major refurb.....which is not on the cards.

However, the roofspace is pretty clear. I haven't been up yet to get
joist sizes to look at costs - but I reckon the house is about 8m deep
by about 30m long - 240m^2 - erk. I think some of the roofspace
already has insulation in it so this might cut it down by about 25ish
pc - but it is still quite a job.

Anyone got any thoughts about easier ways to do this than rolls of
glass wool stuff or similar. I'm tempted to ring up their leccy
supplier (Powergen) and see if they have any offers to do this as
quite frankly the amount of work just looks too much for me on my own
before xmas - and I just know I'm going to find other things that
"really - we should be doing" while I'm up there...

Anyone got any experience of the sort of costs of putting say 200mm
insulation over that sort of area? Is stuff on a roll the best
choice? Also - any tips on getting it from somewhere other than a
"shed" to get the cost down a bit?

All advice gratefully received.

Best,
dan.