Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Halogen light problem

Hello,

Been in our house a few months now and encountered a new one on me.
There are six halogen downlights in the kitchen. Two bulbs went a
couple of weeks ago and I didn't get around to replacing them. A
couple of days ago, all the other bulbs went in one go! I bought some
new bulbs and replaced the old ones but the lights are still not
working. Checked the fuses, no problems. I don't know much about these
downlights. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

theRainKing wrote:
Hello,

Been in our house a few months now and encountered a new one on me.
There are six halogen downlights in the kitchen. Two bulbs went a
couple of weeks ago and I didn't get around to replacing them. A
couple of days ago, all the other bulbs went in one go! I bought some
new bulbs and replaced the old ones but the lights are still not
working. Checked the fuses, no problems. I don't know much about these
downlights. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

It is probably the transformer(s) then. I think some transformers expect
a certain load at all times. Two bulbs blowing will reduce this load
causing a headache for the transformer from which it couldn't recover.

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Apr, 10:41, Graham Jones wrote:
theRainKing wrote:
Hello,

Been in our house a few months now and encountered a new one on me.
There are six halogen downlights in the kitchen. Two bulbs went a
couple of weeks ago and I didn't get around to replacing them. A
couple of days ago, all the other bulbs went in one go! I bought some
new bulbs and replaced the old ones but the lights are still not
working. Checked the fuses, no problems. I don't know much about these
downlights. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

It is probably the transformer(s) then. I think some transformers expect
a certain load at all times. Two bulbs blowing will reduce this load
causing a headache for the transformer from which it couldn't recover.

Graham

Thanks for your reply.

What do I do? How do I get at the transformer (I can't work out how to
get the things out!). Would it need a new transformer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

theRainKing wrote:

[...]

If its the transformer, you need a new transformer. Best thing to do
first is test the bulbs, using a multimeter if you have no other halos
to try them in.

The transformer wont be too far from the lights, quite possibly
sitting on the ceiling PB next to one of them. Downlighters can be
pulled out to find it.

I cant help but think this an opportunity to put better lighting in
though.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...logen_Lighting

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

theRainKing wrote:

[...]

LOL, I like that totally unbiased description of halogen lighting!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

theRainKing wrote:

[...]

That whole Wiki is deeply biased against any form of architectural
lighting.

Some people want their lights to simply light up their room - in that
case an undimmable CFL in a nasty light fitting hung in the middle of
the room will be just fine.

Other people (most people?) would consider the lighting to be a
fundamental part of the design of a space and therefore are unable to
accept the compromises imposed by CFL's.

I've got low energy fittings in the hall, stairs, landing, utility,
spare room and kids rooms. Everywhere else, I've got halogens and
there is nothing at the moment which could encourage me to change
that!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Apr, 17:21, stevelup wrote:

That whole Wiki is deeply biased against any form of architectural
lighting.

Some people want their lights to simply light up their room - in that
case an undimmable CFL in a nasty light fitting hung in the middle of
the room will be just fine.

Other people (most people?) would consider the lighting to be a
fundamental part of the design of a space and therefore are unable to
accept the compromises imposed by CFL's.

I've got low energy fittings in the hall, stairs, landing, utility,
spare room and kids rooms. Everywhere else, I've got halogens and
there is nothing at the moment which could encourage me to change
that!

Steve

Why not write an architectural lighting article? It only takes 5
minutes to get the bare basics down, headings with a few notes under
each. Hopefully it'll develop from there.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not write an architectural lighting article? It only takes 5
minutes to get the bare basics down, headings with a few notes under
each. Hopefully it'll develop from there.

I think this would be good. I like them, when fitted in big spaces but have
just put 4 x 50 W in a small-ish kitchen in place of a five foot striplight
(on instructions of SO).

Unfortunately with a normal 8 foot ceiling they are, as the Wiki says, very
bright if you look at them and there is a wide range of illumination level
depending on whether you are in the beam or not. I think I would need about
8 x 50W to get the even lighting I had with the tube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:

I've got low energy fittings in the hall, stairs, landing, utility,
spare room and kids rooms. Everywhere else, I've got halogens and

So why don't the children (I assume you don't mean goats) deserve what
you regard as pleasant lighting?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 9:49 am, wrote:
stevelup wrote:

I've got low energy fittings in the hall, stairs, landing, utility,
spare room and kids rooms. Everywhere else, I've got halogens and

So why don't the children (I assume you don't mean goats) deserve what
you regard as pleasant lighting?

there is nothing at the moment which could encourage me to change
that!

--
Chris Green

Hi

They can when they learn to turn them off when they leave the room!

Steve