Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham Jones Graham Jones is offline

Default Halogen light problem

wrote:
On 19 Apr, 10:55, theRainKing wrote:
On 19 Apr, 10:41, Graham Jones wrote:
theRainKing wrote:

Hello,
Been in our house a few months now and encountered a new one on me.
There are six halogen downlights in the kitchen. Two bulbs went a
couple of weeks ago and I didn't get around to replacing them. A
couple of days ago, all the other bulbs went in one go! I bought some
new bulbs and replaced the old ones but the lights are still not
working. Checked the fuses, no problems. I don't know much about these
downlights. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
It is probably the transformer(s) then. I think some transformers expect
a certain load at all times. Two bulbs blowing will reduce this load
causing a headache for the transformer from which it couldn't recover.
Graham

Thanks for your reply.

What do I do? How do I get at the transformer (I can't work out how to
get the things out!). Would it need a new transformer?

If its the transformer, you need a new transformer. Best thing to do
first is test the bulbs, using a multimeter if you have no other halos
to try them in.

The transformer wont be too far from the lights, quite possibly
sitting on the ceiling PB next to one of them. Downlighters can be
pulled out to find it.

I cant help but think this an opportunity to put better lighting in
though.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...logen_Lighting

NT

LOL, I like that totally unbiased description of halogen lighting!