Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bolier not firing

I have a Potterton Suprima 40 boiler which was serviced recently. I
can't get a hold of the company just now because they are shut till
morning but I though somebody on here might be able to help. Basically
the boiler is having problems firing up. This is a recent problem,
after the service it seemed to work okay. The pumps are all spinning
in the pipework and appear to be okay. When the bolier goes to fire,
the pump inside the unit spins up and the ignition can be seen
sparking away through the small window, but the burner fails to
ignite. The boiler then shuts down and tries twice more.

It fails no matter if I use auto timers or switch it on manually.
Occasionally I can get it to ignite if I hit the reset button a few
times. I've managed to convince myself that the blue ignition spark is
not as bright as it used to be, but this may be a red herring. Can the
part of the ignition that provides the spark become worn out?

The boiler is a conventional ( non combi) gas fired. Any thoughts? By
the way, when I do get it working, the radiators heat up and I get hot
water as normal.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 18:01, wrote:
[...]

It sounds like the pilot needs cleaning or the electrodes want setting
up properly,
not too much trouble to do.
pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
gasman pete writes
On 28 Feb, 18:01, wrote:
[...]

I understood from his post that it had been recently serviced - these
things should have been done during the service

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:30:05 GMT, raden wrote:

In message . com,
writes
[...]

It sounds like either the gas valve is knacked, or the PCB isn't
powering it

Are these not the ones Watcdog were on about and now Potterton/Baxi
hage agreed to send engineers out to check them FOC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 11:53 pm, Owain wrote:
raden wrote:
It sounds like the pilot needs cleaning or the electrodes want setting
up properly, not too much trouble to do.

I understood from his post that it had been recently serviced - these
things should have been done during the service

I was thinking it was probably the service wot broke it.

Maybe the guy needed a quick PCB swap for another customer...

Owain

I was with the guy at all times and nothing was switched out. During
the service the whole thing was dismantled and put pack together. I
cant believe it is a coincidence that is it now not working. I'll
check the pilot and electrodes first.

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Steve
writes

I was thinking it was probably the service wot broke it.

Maybe the guy needed a quick PCB swap for another customer...

Owain

I was with the guy at all times and nothing was switched out. During
the service the whole thing was dismantled and put pack together. I
cant believe it is a coincidence that is it now not working. I'll
check the pilot and electrodes first.

Did he disconnect the circuit board?

An intermittent fault became permanent here after a service visit. My
conclusion was that the mechanical force needed to wriggle free the
connector worsened an existing soldered joint problem.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

New Alpha Bolier Dead Stuart B UK diy 4 February 9th 07 11:39 AM
Noisy bolier flue [email protected] UK diy 7 October 28th 06 12:55 PM
Combi bolier dilema dog-man UK diy 16 May 9th 05 07:12 PM
Bolier Trouble hsj123 UK diy 3 March 5th 05 12:14 PM
Bolier Trouble hsj123 UK diy 0 March 5th 05 12:53 AM