Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cast iron waste pipe

hi at the weekend i bought a toilet pan & decided today is the day
(Sunday) to remove the old cracked pan. i turned off the water at the
cistern low level unit flushed it & bailed out all the water in the
bottom with a sponge. i used a hammer & chisel to try & seperate the
pan outlet to the ci waste half an hour later i decided enough is
enough just get the pan out so broke it from the waste then tried
undoing the pan screws (not shifting) i then decided to break the rest
of it arrrrrgh what is going on. a huge!!!! lump of concrete in the
base. no wonder the screws wouldn't move they were also cemented in.
again hammer and chisel & another 20 minutes. i decide to go under it
hurray it's lifting oh my god this thing is 3" deep any way it is now
filled in with sand & cement phew. my new pan when lining up is too
near to the waste as i am keeping the existing cistern & is central to
the space there (no left & right available) also it is low after
propping the new pan it is about 1 3/4" too low. i am thinking if i cut
off the ci collar that would give me the needed 2" to the right btw (by
the way) in the bathroom facing the pan i have coming from the right
about 4" from the ground a cast iron waste protruding from the wall
about 1' with a collar where the pan waste goes in now with the pan
removed a have a collar with bits of pan waste around the inside of it.
1. if i cut the collar off is that legal? & if it is how do i cut it as
i thought i could do it with an angle grinder? i havent tried yet i
thought it could be messy.
2. if i have to raise the pan could i put it on a sand & cement base or
is there some kind of decorative item that i can buy before bedding &
levelling with grip fill?
3. do i need to put silicon on the waste pipe pan flange adaptor thingy
to cast iron?

thanks for any good or bad info i receive

i heard this from somewhere sorry if it is yours measure twice cut once

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stressed out" wrote in message
ups.com...

You're not the only one stressed out - did your teacher never explain about
using paragraphs and capital letters?
Your is one of the hardest posts I've come across to read.

hi at the weekend i bought a toilet pan & decided today is the day
(Sunday) to remove the old cracked pan. i turned off the water at the
cistern low level unit flushed it & bailed out all the water in the
bottom with a sponge. i used a hammer & chisel to try & seperate the
pan outlet to the ci waste half an hour later i decided enough is
enough just get the pan out so broke it from the waste then tried
undoing the pan screws (not shifting) i then decided to break the rest
of it arrrrrgh what is going on. a huge!!!! lump of concrete in the
base. no wonder the screws wouldn't move they were also cemented in.
again hammer and chisel & another 20 minutes. i decide to go under it
hurray it's lifting oh my god this thing is 3" deep any way it is now
filled in with sand & cement phew.

Phew, indeed.

my new pan when lining up is too
near to the waste as i am keeping the existing cistern & is central to
the space there (no left & right available) also it is low after
propping the new pan it is about 1 3/4" too low. i am thinking if i cut
off the ci collar that would give me the needed 2" to the right btw (by
the way) in the bathroom facing the pan i have coming from the right
about 4" from the ground a cast iron waste protruding from the wall
about 1' with a collar where the pan waste goes in now with the pan
removed a have a collar with bits of pan waste around the inside of it.

I would try and keep the pipe "as is" and lift the cistern.

1. if i cut the collar off is that legal? & if it is how do i cut it as
i thought i could do it with an angle grinder? i havent tried yet i
thought it could be messy.

I'm sure it's going to be messy, difficullt and possibly dangerous.

2. if i have to raise the pan could i put it on a sand & cement base or
is there some kind of decorative item that i can buy before bedding &
levelling with grip fill?

Eh? I missed the bit about having to raise the pan.

3. do i need to put silicon on the waste pipe pan flange adaptor thingy
to cast iron?

thanks for any good or bad info i receive

i heard this from somewhere sorry if it is yours measure twice cut once

I think you should calm down and really think things over and possibly get
someone in before you make things worse.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:22:14 GMT someone who may be "Paul Andrews"
wrote this:-

You're not the only one stressed out - did your teacher never explain about
using paragraphs and capital letters?
Your is one of the hardest posts I've come across to read.

I suspect I am not the only one who gave up trying to read it before
I got to the end. Well done for getting all the way.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

You're not the only one stressed out - did your teacher never explain
about
using paragraphs and capital letters?
Your is one of the hardest posts I've come across to read.

I suspect I am not the only one who gave up trying to read it before
I got to the end. Well done for getting all the way.

The word "Troll" did spring to mind..