Posted to uk.d-i-y
stressed out stressed out is offline

Default cast iron waste pipe

hi at the weekend i bought a toilet pan & decided today is the day
(Sunday) to remove the old cracked pan. i turned off the water at the
cistern low level unit flushed it & bailed out all the water in the
bottom with a sponge. i used a hammer & chisel to try & seperate the
pan outlet to the ci waste half an hour later i decided enough is
enough just get the pan out so broke it from the waste then tried
undoing the pan screws (not shifting) i then decided to break the rest
of it arrrrrgh what is going on. a huge!!!! lump of concrete in the
base. no wonder the screws wouldn't move they were also cemented in.
again hammer and chisel & another 20 minutes. i decide to go under it
hurray it's lifting oh my god this thing is 3" deep any way it is now
filled in with sand & cement phew. my new pan when lining up is too
near to the waste as i am keeping the existing cistern & is central to
the space there (no left & right available) also it is low after
propping the new pan it is about 1 3/4" too low. i am thinking if i cut
off the ci collar that would give me the needed 2" to the right btw (by
the way) in the bathroom facing the pan i have coming from the right
about 4" from the ground a cast iron waste protruding from the wall
about 1' with a collar where the pan waste goes in now with the pan
removed a have a collar with bits of pan waste around the inside of it.
1. if i cut the collar off is that legal? & if it is how do i cut it as
i thought i could do it with an angle grinder? i havent tried yet i
thought it could be messy.
2. if i have to raise the pan could i put it on a sand & cement base or
is there some kind of decorative item that i can buy before bedding &
levelling with grip fill?
3. do i need to put silicon on the waste pipe pan flange adaptor thingy
to cast iron?

thanks for any good or bad info i receive

i heard this from somewhere sorry if it is yours measure twice cut once