B&Q Tiles

Old August 9th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Tiles

Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q 3.48, same tile from Focus 9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Old August 9th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug 2006 12:25:17 -0700, "
wrote:

Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q 3.48, same tile from Focus 9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

I suggest you try your local tile shop first (www.yell.co.uk or be
boring and use yellow pages). When we tiled our bathroom we went to
their bargain basement and bought a job lot of (very nice) Italian end
of range tiles and did the whole bathroom (floor to ceiling) for less
than 50. We got two colours of the same tile (to distinguish the
shower area), one colour (a mid blue) was about 30% of the original
price and the other, main, colour (very pale blue)just 10% of the
original price! The tiles we chose are approx 10"x8" - the bigger the
tile the less grout to discolour...

To be fair, we did need to allow around 10% extra tiles to allow for
the odd chipped one that we couldn't cut down for a fiddly bit but we
ended up with quite a few spare.

If you can avoid it - don't use plain white shed tiles or you will
make your bathrooom look like a public lavatory.

It makes a real difference to get nice, quality tiles. Most big tile
shops are desperate to clear out old stock to bring in the new stuff.
Find a tile you like and haggle

--
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
Old August 9th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from " contains these words:

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q 3.48, same tile from Focus 9.99 for 18!

I tiled most of our bathroom five years ago with B&Q value tiles -
they're no trouble at all.

--
Skipweasel
Old August 9th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

As stated,visit a local tile warehouse,you'll be suprised how much can be
saved.

I done my bathroom at a cost of 45GBP from *tops tiles* the same tiles in
the sheds would have cost double that.

Tiles may be cheap, but watch what you pay for anything else,
such as adhesive, cement, grout, add-mix, borders, etc, which
is often where they claim back what you thought you'd saved.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old August 10th 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
roups.com...
Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of

interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q 3.48, same tile from Focus 9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Poundland were doing these @ 1 (natch) for 40 a while back. Although why
you would want to decorate your bathroom like a public lavatory is anyone's
guess. At least pay the 50p a box extra and get cream ;-)

Old August 10th 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "steeler" contains these words:

Poundland were doing these @ 1 (natch) for 40 a while back. Although why
you would want to decorate your bathroom like a public lavatory is anyone's
guess.

I rather like plain white. Particularly in small space - it doesn't look
twee and "too clever" like coloureds can.

--
Skipweasel
Old August 10th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I rather like plain white. Particularly in small space - it doesn't look
twee and "too clever" like coloureds can.

I'm with the public lavatory opinion on this one. What with the other
expenses, it is surely worth paying a bit more. I've just done our new
en-suite with natural limestone tiles at 12 GBP/m2, which is about the same
as a high quality ceramic and looks so much better. Even mid-range ceramics
often only have 1 or 2 patterns, and it is really obvious.

Christian.

Old August 10th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q 3.48, same tile from Focus 9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

If you happen to be anywhere near Preston, Bolton or Wigan you won't do
better than these people http://www.tilemart.co.uk/content.html

John.