DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   B&Q Tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/171977-b-q-tiles.html)

[email protected] August 9th 06 09:25 PM

B&Q Tiles

Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Gully Foyle August 9th 06 10:36 PM

B&Q Tiles

On 9 Aug 2006 12:25:17 -0700, "
wrote:

Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

I suggest you try your local tile shop first (www.yell.co.uk or be
boring and use yellow pages). When we tiled our bathroom we went to
their bargain basement and bought a job lot of (very nice) Italian end
of range tiles and did the whole bathroom (floor to ceiling) for less
than £50. We got two colours of the same tile (to distinguish the
shower area), one colour (a mid blue) was about 30% of the original
price and the other, main, colour (very pale blue)just 10% of the
original price! The tiles we chose are approx 10"x8" - the bigger the
tile the less grout to discolour...

To be fair, we did need to allow around 10% extra tiles to allow for
the odd chipped one that we couldn't cut down for a fiddly bit but we
ended up with quite a few spare.

If you can avoid it - don't use plain white shed tiles or you will
make your bathrooom look like a public lavatory.

It makes a real difference to get nice, quality tiles. Most big tile
shops are desperate to clear out old stock to bring in the new stuff.
Find a tile you like and haggle :)

--
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Guy King August 9th 06 10:50 PM

B&Q Tiles

The message .com
from " contains these words:

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

I tiled most of our bathroom five years ago with B&Q value tiles -
they're no trouble at all.

--
Skipweasel

The3rd Earl Of Derby August 9th 06 11:22 PM

B&Q Tiles

wrote:
Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be
covered in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

As stated,visit a local tile warehouse,you'll be suprised how much can be
saved.

I done my bathroom at a cost of 45GBP from *tops tiles* the same tiles in
the sheds would have cost double that.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Andrew Gabriel August 9th 06 11:39 PM

B&Q Tiles

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

As stated,visit a local tile warehouse,you'll be suprised how much can be
saved.

I done my bathroom at a cost of 45GBP from *tops tiles* the same tiles in
the sheds would have cost double that.

Tiles may be cheap, but watch what you pay for anything else,
such as adhesive, cement, grout, add-mix, borders, etc, which
is often where they claim back what you thought you'd saved.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Stumbles August 10th 06 02:23 AM

B&Q Tiles

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:25:17 -0700, wrote:

Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Most outlets do plain white 150mm square tiles around the same price - I
don't know how you found any as expensive as the Focus ones! Beware that
different makes differ slightly in colour, thickness and size so don't
try to mix'n'match - they won't. You'll also find larger tiles e.g. 20cm
square (or similar size oblong) white tiles in plain or bumpy finish at
quite reasonable prices too. Mixing any of these cheaper tiles with a few
fancy border or inset tiles can give a special look at not too much extra £££

steeler August 10th 06 02:36 AM

B&Q Tiles

wrote in message
roups.com...
Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of

interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Poundland were doing these @ £1 (natch) for 40 a while back. Although why
you would want to decorate your bathroom like a public lavatory is anyone's
guess. At least pay the 50p a box extra and get cream ;-)

Guy King August 10th 06 09:11 AM

B&Q Tiles

The message
from "steeler" contains these words:

Poundland were doing these @ £1 (natch) for 40 a while back. Although why
you would want to decorate your bathroom like a public lavatory is anyone's
guess.

I rather like plain white. Particularly in small space - it doesn't look
twee and "too clever" like coloureds can.

--
Skipweasel

Christian McArdle August 10th 06 10:38 AM

B&Q Tiles

I rather like plain white. Particularly in small space - it doesn't look
twee and "too clever" like coloureds can.

I'm with the public lavatory opinion on this one. What with the other
expenses, it is surely worth paying a bit more. I've just done our new
en-suite with natural limestone tiles at 12 GBP/m2, which is about the same
as a high quality ceramic and looks so much better. Even mid-range ceramics
often only have 1 or 2 patterns, and it is really obvious.

Christian.

John August 10th 06 11:04 AM

B&Q Tiles

wrote in message
oups.com...
Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Any guidance gratefully received.

If you happen to be anywhere near Preston, Bolton or Wigan you won't do
better than these people http://www.tilemart.co.uk/content.html

John.

Guy King August 10th 06 11:07 AM

B&Q Tiles

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

I rather like plain white. Particularly in small space - it doesn't look
twee and "too clever" like coloureds can.

I'm with the public lavatory opinion on this one.

I can't think when I last saw a public lavatory done in all white tiles.

Thinking about it, it's fairly rare to see a public lavatory to start with.

--
Skipweasel

Tony Bryer August 10th 06 12:00 PM

B&Q Tiles

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:22:29 GMT The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote :
I done my bathroom at a cost of 45GBP from *tops tiles* the same tiles in
the sheds would have cost double that.

You did better than me then - I bought my black marble effect ceramic tiles
at Topps and later saw them at B&Q for much less. And to my shame I fell
for the "while you're here do you want the adhesive and grout" line and
paid through the nose for these.

HLAH August 10th 06 01:02 PM

B&Q Tiles

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

I rather like plain white. Particularly in small space - it doesn't
look
twee and "too clever" like coloureds can.

I'm with the public lavatory opinion on this one.

I can't think when I last saw a public lavatory done in all white tiles.

Thinking about it, it's fairly rare to see a public lavatory to start
with.

--

I have no problem with a bathroom looking like a public toilet, though I
think it would be pretty hard to make one look so. I would have a problem if

The3rd Earl Of Derby August 10th 06 03:30 PM

B&Q Tiles

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:22:29 GMT The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote :
I done my bathroom at a cost of 45GBP from *tops tiles* the same
tiles in the sheds would have cost double that.

You did better than me then - I bought my black marble effect ceramic
tiles at Topps and later saw them at B&Q for much less. And to my
shame I fell for the "while you're here do you want the adhesive and
grout" line and paid through the nose for these.

These where end of the line tiles.
The adhesive was got elsewhere because I've heard that sales jargon at
least twice whilst in topps tiles,but then again it pays to keep an eye on
materials whilst browsing in other places. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John Stumbles August 11th 06 01:36 AM

B&Q Tiles

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:02:27 +0100, HLAH wrote:

I have no problem with a bathroom looking like a public toilet, though I
think it would be pretty hard to make one look so. I would have a
problem if it smelt like one, was full of junkies or as is so often the
case nowadays the door was locked more often than not.

You'd want the blue strip lights too ... :-)

Dave Plowman (News) August 11th 06 10:33 AM

B&Q Tiles

In article ,
steeler wrote:
Although why you would want to decorate your bathroom like a public
lavatory is anyone's guess.

That used to be said about bathroom suites. And avocado became the most
popular colour...

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) August 11th 06 10:35 AM

B&Q Tiles

In article ,
HLAH wrote:
I have no problem with a bathroom looking like a public toilet, though I
think it would be pretty hard to make one look so. I would have a
problem if it smelt like one, was full of junkies or as is so often the
case nowadays the door was locked more often than not.

What was my nearest one is now an estate agent.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Andy Hall August 11th 06 10:54 AM

B&Q Tiles

On 2006-08-11 09:35:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
HLAH wrote:
I have no problem with a bathroom looking like a public toilet, though I
think it would be pretty hard to make one look so. I would have a
problem if it smelt like one, was full of junkies or as is so often the
case nowadays the door was locked more often than not.

What was my nearest one is now an estate agent.

So I guess that they didn't need to apply for planning permission for
change of use, then...

Tony Bryer August 11th 06 12:40 PM

B&Q Tiles

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:35:37 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
I have no problem with a bathroom looking like a public toilet, though I
think it would be pretty hard to make one look so. I would have a
problem if it smelt like one, was full of junkies or as is so often the
case nowadays the door was locked more often than not.

What was my nearest one is now an estate agent.

Ours is a restaurant (Arthur's, Twickenham Green)

Andy Hall August 11th 06 01:07 PM

B&Q Tiles

On 2006-08-11 11:40:07 +0100, Tony Bryer said:

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:35:37 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
I have no problem with a bathroom looking like a public toilet, though I
think it would be pretty hard to make one look so. I would have a
problem if it smelt like one, was full of junkies or as is so often the
case nowadays the door was locked more often than not.

What was my nearest one is now an estate agent.

Ours is a restaurant (Arthur's, Twickenham Green)

Does Environmental Health know?