Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default B&Q Tiles

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:25:17 -0700, wrote:

Starting to tile our bathroom next week and don't know a great deal
about tiles. Our thoughts are to tile the majority with an inexpensive
6x6 white tile and get a more expensive border to add a bit of
interest.

Looking at the various standard 6x6 white tiles prices seem to vary
wildly. Box off 44 from B&Q £3.48, same tile from Focus £9.99 for 18!

What's going on here? Are the B&Q tiles that bad or the Focus tiles so
much better? I'd rather pay out for the Focus ones if the B&Q ones are
all going to shatter as soon as I get them out of the box or be covered
in imperfections.

Most outlets do plain white 150mm square tiles around the same price - I
don't know how you found any as expensive as the Focus ones! Beware that
different makes differ slightly in colour, thickness and size so don't
try to mix'n'match - they won't. You'll also find larger tiles e.g. 20cm
square (or similar size oblong) white tiles in plain or bumpy finish at
quite reasonable prices too. Mixing any of these cheaper tiles with a few
fancy border or inset tiles can give a special look at not too much extra £££