Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bouffont

Default Stuck Door

Hi All,

I have a cupboard with a full size door on it (same door as the rest in
the house). Unfortunatley a sterdy steel clothes horse has fallen down
in the cupboard and wedged itself between the door and the wall to the
point where the door wont open at all, not even a little bit!

I've tried the following:

Getting a coat hanger under the door - failed becuase the door is so
close to the hardwood floor (which I dont want to scratch) that it wont
fit under.
Barging the door with my shoulder - failed and hurt
Kicking the door as hard as possible - failed but opened the door a
slight bit more
Taking the door handle off - failed becuase in their infinite wisdom
the people that made the house glued it on and I cant get it off no
matter how hard I try.
sliding a long metal ruler under the door - failed due to lack of room
banging the door a lot in an attempt to move the clothes horse up a
little - failed - didnt work at all
Used harsh language at the door - failed but made me feel better

My thoughts now are to:

Drill through the door and reach through and move it
Cut through the plasterboard and do the same.

There's absolutley no other way into the cupboard I can think of.

Anyone got any ideas!

Cheers

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Bouffont" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I have a cupboard with a full size door on it (same door as the rest in
the house). Unfortunatley a sterdy steel clothes horse has fallen down
in the cupboard and wedged itself between the door and the wall to the
point where the door wont open at all, not even a little bit!

Anyone got any ideas!

I take it the hinge pins are on the inside?
Otherwise drift them out, sawing any peenings as necessary.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You have unlocked the door haven't you?

I take it this is an inward opening door? (unusual for a cupboard).

No hinge pins you can get at?

You'll probably have to cut a hole lare enough to grab and move the
object, or just cut up the whole bloody door and chalk it up to
experience.

Maybe you could market the contraption as an anti-burglar device.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 19 Apr 2006 08:37:19 -0700, "Bouffont" wrote:

|Hi All,
|
|I have a cupboard with a full size door on it (same door as the rest in
|the house). Unfortunatley a sterdy steel clothes horse has fallen down
|in the cupboard and wedged itself between the door and the wall to the
|point where the door wont open at all, not even a little bit!
|
|I've tried the following:
|
|Getting a coat hanger under the door - failed becuase the door is so
|close to the hardwood floor (which I dont want to scratch) that it wont
|fit under.
|Barging the door with my shoulder - failed and hurt
|Kicking the door as hard as possible - failed but opened the door a
|slight bit more
|Taking the door handle off - failed becuase in their infinite wisdom
|the people that made the house glued it on and I cant get it off no
|matter how hard I try.
|sliding a long metal ruler under the door - failed due to lack of room
|banging the door a lot in an attempt to move the clothes horse up a
|little - failed - didnt work at all
|Used harsh language at the door - failed but made me feel better
|
|My thoughts now are to:
|
|Drill through the door and reach through and move it
|Cut through the plasterboard and do the same.
|
|There's absolutley no other way into the cupboard I can think of.
|
|Anyone got any ideas!

Push a steel rule by the handle to force back the latch, if the door opens
away from you.

Otherwise Jemmy (floorboard lifter) it open, then repair the damage caused.
The lock/latch side of the door will break dead easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"Bouffont" wrote in message
[...]

Sprinkle some peas on the floor just outside the door and leave a tap
running in the bathroom.

When the horse comes out for a pea jam your foot in the door.

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bouffont wrote:
I have a cupboard with a full size door on it (same door as the rest in
the house). Unfortunatley a sterdy steel clothes horse has fallen down
in the cupboard and wedged itself between the door and the wall to the
point where the door wont open at all, not even a little bit!

I've tried the following:

Getting a coat hanger under the door - failed becuase the door is so
close to the hardwood floor (which I dont want to scratch) that it wont
fit under.

If a flat air-bed can be pushed under the door, you could
try that, then inflate it from the bit left poking out.

Barging the door with my shoulder - failed and hurt
Kicking the door as hard as possible - failed but opened the door a
slight bit more

Put a bit more beef into it.

Lay some 4x2 across the room (onto a packing piece against
the opposite wall). Put a packing piece against the door.
Use another 4x2 as a lever.

Taking the door handle off - failed becuase in their infinite wisdom
the people that made the house glued it on and I cant get it off no
matter how hard I try.

Not sure how that'd help, unless you could get a wire
through the hole..

sliding a long metal ruler under the door - failed due to lack of room
banging the door a lot in an attempt to move the clothes horse up a
little - failed - didnt work at all
Used harsh language at the door - failed but made me feel better

My thoughts now are to:

Drill through the door and reach through and move it
Cut through the plasterboard and do the same.

Perhaps you can do this in a place that you can fill
easily afterwards.

There's absolutley no other way into the cupboard I can think of.

Anyone got any ideas!

Re-hang the door so that it opens outwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

VisionSet wrote:
"Bouffont"
I have a cupboard with a full size door on it (same door as the rest in
the house). Unfortunatley a sterdy steel clothes horse has fallen down
in the cupboard and wedged itself between the door and the wall to the
point where the door wont open at all, not even a little bit!
Anyone got any ideas!

I take it the hinge pins are on the inside?
Otherwise drift them out, sawing any peenings as necessary.

"Angle grinder".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Bouffont wrote:
Hi All,

I have a cupboard with a full size door on it (same door as the rest in
the house). Unfortunatley a sterdy steel clothes horse has fallen down
in the cupboard and wedged itself between the door and the wall to the
point where the door wont open at all, not even a little bit!

snip

My thoughts now are to:

Drill through the door and reach through and move it

That will involve a lot of make good work.

Cut through the plasterboard and do the same.

This is the option that I would go for. Easy to get in and easy to
repair without being able to see the repair.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Bouffont wrote:
[...]

If the cupboard is upstairs, go up into the loft and cut out a hole in the
plasterboard ceiling of the cupboard, say about 100mm square, reach down and
move the offending horse, if it's too far use a hooked implement.
Repair hole in ceiling when you get nagged into it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

"Angle grinder".

Variable sword?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:
"Angle grinder".

Variable sword?

Eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Guy King wrote:
The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:
"Angle grinder".

Variable sword?

Eh?

Black & decker Scorpion Saw?

ETV

MENTUM REV JOSH HOLM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article . com
Bouffont wrote:
[...]

Go through the ceiling? Cut through the hinge screws with a bolster?
Remove the door stop and pull the handle hard?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave H.

"Bouffont" wrote in message
[...]

How about the most powerful magnet you can find, and *through the door* drag
the (steel?) clothes horse up until he door will push it out of the way? CB
"mag-mount" bases are pretty powerful, and can hold a 7-foot aerial at 100
mph...

Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Bouffont wrote:

Drill through the door and reach through and move it
Cut through the plasterboard and do the same.

If you drill in the right place you may be able to cover the drilled
hole with some
sort of design or nameplate or something.
Drill high enough to be able to get some fencing wire in and hopefully
hook
the offending item and pull it clear.

Don't force it - take a break and think over the problem.

Mungo

P.S. My eldest son informed me that our upstairs bathroom door had
slammed
shut and managed to lock itself with no-one inside the room.
Having seen many cop shows where the door gets kicked in he was first
in line
to volunteer to do the same with the loo door. I told him to wait until
I returned, whereby
use of a long thin shafted screwdriver worked the mechanism from the
hole in the
front of the lock.
Of course they don't show THAT in cop shows... so don't rush at
the "brute force and ignorance" solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Bouffont wrote:

Anyone got any ideas!

Use a stout chisel/jemmy to prise the latch side and top door stops off
so that you can pull the door open a bit towards you (i.e. pulling the
hinges the wrong way). It ought to come far enough to let you get an arm
round the edge.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...

P.S. My eldest son informed me that our upstairs bathroom door had
slammed
shut and managed to lock itself with no-one inside the room.
Having seen many cop shows where the door gets kicked in he was first
in line
to volunteer to do the same with the loo door. I told him to wait until
I returned, whereby
use of a long thin shafted screwdriver worked the mechanism from the
hole in the
front of the lock.
Of course they don't show THAT in cop shows... so don't rush at
the "brute force and ignorance" solution.

A few months ago Spouse and I were in the dining room. When I tried to open
the door it wouldn't, something had come loose inside the 70yo handle
mechanism and the steel tongue (?) was firmly in the steel holder.

The door opened inwards. All Spouse's tools were in the workshop (garage)
outside the house. The only opening windows in the room are the transomes,
he didn't want to climb through one because of all the spiky bushes
underneath.

Luckily we keep a canteen of rarely used posh cutlery in the sideboard in
that room and he managed tocut through the timber to get to the mechanism.
By that time my legs were crossed, I'd wanted to leave the room to go
upstairs.

The woodwork still hasn't been repaired and the handle hasn't been replaced
because he mended it. He says lightning doesn't strike twice ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

"Angle grinder".

Variable sword?

Eh?

It's a Larry Niven - Ringworld thing.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bouffont

Well boys and girls I've sorted it - I had a good think and I looked
all the way around my cupboard and found that my coat hooks are secured
onto a large piece of wood which is in turn screwed to the wall, around
the side of the cupboard.
Given that all my tools were in the cupboard (and I couldn't be
bothered going across town to get my freinds) I got a dinner knife out
and unscrewed the screws that attach it to the wall.
Then I got a sharp kitchen knife and cut a hole in the plasterboard.
Then cut through the insulation then through the other side.
I then got a coat hanger and attached that to the washing line and
tried to hook it up but it was not strong enough and kept bending.
So I donned my MacGuyver head and tied a couple of knives to the line,
dropped one through with lots of slack, sat the other in the hole then
smacked it really hard. It shot out into the cupboard.... and stuck in
the wall the other side.

Sigh.

So a couple of goes of that managed to hook it around the clothes horse
- pull and hey presto it's moved out of the way and I'm in!

The coat hook is back up and you cant see the hole. The other side just
needs a little plaster and paint and Its as if it never happened!

Thanks for all your tips - The magnet idea I loved but couldn't find
one to borrow!

Sadly this now means I have access to all the cleaning products in
there so I no longer have an excuse to live in a messy house

Cheers

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Bouffont" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You don't have a wife, I gather. If you have you're going to be in trouble
for all that ruined kitchenware. Or have to buy a new lot :-)

Mary

Cheers

Tom