Posted to uk.d-i-y
Piers Finlayson

Default Radiator - temporary replacement

I need to remove some radiators so the rooms can be re-decorated, and then
later I'm going to replace with different radiators. So, I'm going to be
missing radiators for a period of time, but need the CH to work in the
meantime.

Is there some sort of standard hose kit to connect the radiator pipes
together to complete the CH circuit once I've removed the old radiators and
not put the new ones in? I've done a search but can't find anything
suitable.

TIA!

Cheers,
Piers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:15:53 -0000, "Piers Finlayson"
wrote:

I need to remove some radiators so the rooms can be re-decorated, and then
later I'm going to replace with different radiators. So, I'm going to be
missing radiators for a period of time, but need the CH to work in the
meantime.

Is there some sort of standard hose kit to connect the radiator pipes
together to complete the CH circuit once I've removed the old radiators and
not put the new ones in? I've done a search but can't find anything
suitable.

TIA!

Cheers,
Piers

You don't need to do this.

Virtually all CH systems have the radiators connected effectively in
parallel across the flow and return pipes from the boiler and pump.

Some early systems were of a one-pipe design where the flow goes
around the building in a loop and radiators tap onto it. However,
even these are not affected by a radiator being turned off or removed.

You can turn off both valves and remove the radiator.

However, two caveats.

1) CH water is often loaded with iron compounds and sludge from
corrosion in the system. This stains indellibly. Therefore, care is
needed to allow the water to drain into something when you undo the
nuts of the valve unions. Cat litter trays from the supermarket work
well for this.

2) You may not be able to completely turn off the radiator valves. In
this case, some caps to screw onto the now exposed valves can be
useful and are obtainable from heating merchants.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

wrote:

[...]

Also remember that turning a TRV completely down will often set it to a
frost protect setting, so although it is off now, it will open up on a cold
night. So for TRVs take the TRV body off and use the caps Andy has
described.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Yeh But No But

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
I need to remove some radiators so the rooms can be re-decorated, and then
later I'm going to replace with different radiators. So, I'm going to be
missing radiators for a period of time, but need the CH to work in the
meantime.

Is there some sort of standard hose kit to connect the radiator pipes
together to complete the CH circuit once I've removed the old radiators
and not put the new ones in? I've done a search but can't find anything
suitable.

A stopend on each pipe.