Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap router tables

Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

I realise that it is bound to be cheap and nasty, but if it is
usable, albeit awkwardly, then it's the right price for my
current needs.

Essentially, I'm after a table for two or three small jobs, spread
over long enough that hiring would either be uneconomic or
need more organisation than I can manage. If I then want a
decent table, I'm quite happy to either cannibalise this for a
homebrew job or write it off/resell and buy a decent one.

Obviously though, even at forty quid, it would be nice to know
that the Clarke isn't totally unusable before I've taken it out of
the box.

Regards

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with -
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around £40
including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had
some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated £500+ jobby :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:33:07 GMT
"david lang" wrote:

wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy
with - it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for
around £40 including the router, don't know if they still have them.
B&Q Warehouse had some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes
a real pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated £500+ jobby :-)

I find that a router with fewer bells and whistles is right for a
table. I use a Freud 2000E, as it is 1900Watts, has electronic speed
control, the collet winds down to the bottom of the faceplate obviating
the temptation to put the cutter in short, and it has a fine height
adjuster as standard.

As to tables, I made my own, but I used a bit of old worktop with
a hole in it for ages.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:33:07 GMT, "david lang"

Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with -
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around £40
including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had
some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated £500+ jobby :-)

Dave

Au contraire.

You should always match tool qualities - so there would be little
point in a £500 router and £40 table.

Actually, even the Festool is under £400.

For a router table, a permanently fitted router makes the most sense,
so something with easy tool change and fine height adjustment are the
most important criteria, followed by speed adjustment range (low end
with torque to cover the larger cutters safely).

Therefore, as always, a sensibly specified router in the £150-200
range such as a Freud would be the appropriate choice.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated £500+ jobby :-)

Au contraire.

You should always match tool qualities - so there would be little
point in a £500 router and £40 table.

Well, I think I've got a decent match here then - £40 table and a
twenty
quid Homebase router (well, thirty, then in the sale a few years ago
....)

For a router table, a permanently fitted router makes the most sense,
so something with easy tool change and fine height adjustment are the
most important criteria, followed by speed adjustment range (low end
with torque to cover the larger cutters safely).

Therefore, as always, a sensibly specified router in the £150-200
range such as a Freud would be the appropriate choice.

That makes sense, but will have to wait until I grow out of my current
setup ... ie when I'm limited by it rather than my own skills ...

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

david lang wrote:

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated ï½£500+ jobby :-)

In many cases if you want the best table, make your own.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Homer2911

david lang wrote:

wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with-
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around £40
including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had
some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated £500+ jobby :-)

Dave

I've used the Nutool for quite a few jobs - quite good enough for me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with -
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

Well, it's currently in its box. Will get round to having a play with
it soon, and
try to remember to report back here.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Depends how often you're doing it ...

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 6 Jan 2006 04:16:21 -0800, wrote:

I realise that it is bound to be cheap and nasty, but if it is
usable, albeit awkwardly, then it's the right price for my
current needs.

Make your own
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Do people pay £500 for routers? At that price, and if you need a
table, you should be looking at a spindle moulder which is a far
superior tool in almost every way.
cheers

Jacob