Connecting Timber Joists to Steel Beam

Old June 15th 05, 12:16 PM
TheScullster

Default Connecting Timber Joists to Steel Beam

Does anyone have links, details, pictures or drawings showing methods for
attaching joists to steel beams please?

I am hoping to take out a wall which simply supports overlapping ceiling
joists in a single storey extension.
But, I don't want to install a beam below the ceiling and would rather it
fitted within the depth of the joists (projecting above into the loft space
depending on the beam depth).

So, how do I connect joist ends to the support beam?

TIA

Phil

Old June 15th 05, 12:18 PM
Christian McArdle

So, how do I connect joist ends to the support beam?

Joist hangers?

Don't forget that any steel framework has to be fireproofed.

Christian.

Old June 15th 05, 12:42 PM
TheScullster

Joist hangers?

Don't forget that any steel framework has to be fireproofed.

Thanks Christian, but I don't see how the joist hangers (usually nailed of
course) get fixed to the I section beam!
This is the sort of detail I am looking for guidance on.

Phil

Old June 15th 05, 12:59 PM
BigWallop

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Does anyone have links, details, pictures or drawings showing methods for
attaching joists to steel beams please?

I am hoping to take out a wall which simply supports overlapping ceiling
joists in a single storey extension.
But, I don't want to install a beam below the ceiling and would rather it
fitted within the depth of the joists (projecting above into the loft

space
depending on the beam depth).

So, how do I connect joist ends to the support beam?

TIA

Phil

Simple metal hook shaped things that screw to the timber joists, after being
placed over the far edge of the beam. Or flat metal straps that straddle
the beam and screw to the ends of the joists on either side, if they line up
together that is. With two sets of joist ends coming from either side of
the web on an " I " (eye) Beam, the straps help hold the beam, and beam
helps hold the joists. It might need BCO and Structural Engineer Calcs'
before you get insurance cover though.

Old June 15th 05, 01:27 PM
Alan

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is possible for your situation, but I have done this
with the ends of the joists shaped to fit into either side of the "I"
of the beam - and before anyone says anything - it was approved by the
structural engineer and BCO - worked a treat. Difficult do do unless
you are completely removing the ceilings in both rooms and the dwangs
between the joists but an option none the less.

Alan.

Old June 15th 05, 01:37 PM
Christian McArdle

Thanks Christian, but I don't see how the joist hangers (usually nailed of
course) get fixed to the I section beam!
This is the sort of detail I am looking for guidance on.

They can be bolted to the steel, or hung over the top.

Christian.

Old June 16th 05, 01:51 PM
TheScullster

Alan

Thanks - can you tell me the width of the section you used please?
I was under the understanding that 75mm of bearing length was required to
the end of each joist.
This would result in a larger than necessary section for the job in hand.

Also what is a dwang?

2nd Also - what did you do about fire proofing of beam in this instance?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Old June 16th 05, 02:56 PM
TheScullster

Were you given any recommendations for end support of the steel beam?
Is a concrete lintel/padstone needed?
Do the ends have to be secured in any way or do they just sit on the
supporting wall?
I believe it is usual to build the ends in?

TIA

Phil

Old June 16th 05, 03:59 PM
TheScullster

Thanks Mr B Thumbs

I believe I have enough information etc to size beam and submit proposals
now.

Phil

Old June 16th 05, 04:59 PM
Alan

Hi,

I don't have the exact size to hand but looking at standard size
information on the web, I think it was a 203x133. I guess that would
give you about 60mm bearing by the time you take the beam thickness
away. I've no idea if this is a larger than necessary section.

A dwang is the Scottish term for noggin. The short pieces of wood which
go between the beams to stop sideways movement.

Intumescent paint for fire proofing.

The end of the beam sits on a pad stone and is then concreted in.

Alan.