Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vacuum question

How much does the length of a vacuum hose affect its performance?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 20:22:49 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

How much does the length of a vacuum hose affect its performance?

Steve

In theory, it should only affect the time it takes to draw down the
vacuum as it has more volume. If, however, the hose is porous or has
a leak, it would affect the vacuum.

OTOH, my wife says a longer hose would be better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 20:22:49 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

How much does the length of a vacuum hose affect its performance?

Steve

In theory, it should only affect the time it takes to draw down the
vacuum as it has more volume. If, however, the hose is porous or has
a leak, it would affect the vacuum.

OTOH, my wife says a longer hose would be better.

not very much unless its several hundred meters long then you start to
get losses through friction, weiught of the air to be moved and heat
build up
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in :

How much does the length of a vacuum hose affect its performance?

Steve

I haven't noticed much of a difference between a shorter shopvac hose
(about 4') and the much longer Fein hose (about 16'.) I like the longer
hose, as vacuums are generally useless at following you around.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vacuum question/redux

Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out in
yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so much.
I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/13 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out in
yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so much.
I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

Steve

Hmm... I wonder what acorns run.
Maybe I need to start charging the deer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:14:29 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/2/13 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out in
yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so much.
I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

Steve

Hmm... I wonder what acorns run.
Maybe I need to start charging the deer.

The only problem MIGHT be the restriction to the PECANS, not the
air.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be
little loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so
I can go out in yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move
the damn vacuum so much. I get them free, and they sell for up to $6
per pound.

You won't get there from here.

A Shop-Vac just doesn't have the horses.

What you have to factor in is the line drop of the 25' hose as
well as the "plugging" caused by the pecans as the hose gets longer.

May work with a 6'-10' hose depending on diameter of hose.

You need a gasoline powered vacuum sweeper like a landscaper uses.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Steve B" wrote:

Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out
in yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so
much. I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

You won't get there from here.

A Shop-Vac just doesn't have the horses.

What you have to factor in is the line drop of the 25' hose as
well as the "plugging" caused by the pecans as the hose gets longer.

Not to mention dirt, grass, leaves, pebbles and who-knows-what!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2013 12:05 PM, Steve B wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out in
yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so much.
I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

Steve

I am not an expert but I believe this is a fluid dynamics problem.
Theoretically the only loss on the longer hose will be the loss due to
friction between the air and the hose. Practically there will be loss
due to leaks, and such.

However the ability to move pecans through the hose will be dependent on
the the volume of air that the vacuum is able to move. Between the
volume of air and the weight of each pecan, I don't believe you idea
will work.

But if it did it would sure beat stooping over to pick them up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out
in yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so
much. I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

You won't get there from here.

A Shop-Vac just doesn't have the horses.

What you have to factor in is the line drop of the 25' hose as
well as the "plugging" caused by the pecans as the hose gets longer.

May work with a 6'-10' hose depending on diameter of hose.

You need a gasoline powered vacuum sweeper like a landscaper uses.

Lew

Dang. I went out yesterday, and filled a Shop-Vac 22 gal. 6.5 horse vacuum
to pick up 22 gallons worth. No clogging at all. I did put in a deflector
plate inside the vacuum so that they did not collide with the filter, and so
that any that had husks on them had the husks jarred loose. It took an hour
to fill one 22 gallon container. I still have not separated the trash, so
am not sure how much I netted in pecans.

Now I'm disappointed hearing it won't work ................

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
[...]

It DOES work, as I went yesterday and tried it. The major factor seemed to
be that the filter clogged quite a bit after filling one 22 gallon vacuum
completely. Probably fixed by having an extra filter or two to change out
frequently. As for restrictions, it worked well, and only lessened when
some got clogged in the hose. Which was right at the intake, or at the
entrance to the vacuum. And then that was fixed immediately by
manipulation.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I basically thought that there would be little
loss. What I want to do is add a 25' hose to my Shop-Vac so I can go out in
yards and vacuum up pecans without having to move the damn vacuum so much.
I get them free, and they sell for up to $6 per pound.

Steve

This is pecan country. We use a roller picker-upper. It may get a
rock or short piece of wood but generally clean pecans. When you get
them you don't have to pick out trash.
I also have a power pecan cracker. Around here the pecans have been
on the ground all fall and winter and are getting a little rancid.

--
 GW Ross

 I xeroxed my watch. Now I have time
 to spare.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2013 11:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
How much does the length of a vacuum hose affect its performance?

Steve

Not as bad as you would think.
My whole shop has 2" pvc for vacuming up the sawdust. It is not a dust
collector certainly.

I have 4 lines off the trunk. And only one of them suffers really bad,
the longest of the bunch. It is traveling a little more than 50 feet.
It's diminished, but still useful.

I also have 25 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose that I got from Woodcraft, and
you don't notice any loss with that hose.
That is a flex hose. Certainly not the same type of flex hose that comes
with the units. This is smoother.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2013 5:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/1/2013 11:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
How much does the length of a vacuum hose affect its performance?

Steve

Not as bad as you would think.

You're experience is correct, IME.

I can tell you from taking bids on "whole house vacuum systems" that,
for all _practical_ purposes, the overall _length_ of the system vacuum
hose/pipe is pretty well discounted as a huge factor in efficiency.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote

This is pecan country. We use a roller picker-upper. It may get a rock
or short piece of wood but generally clean pecans. When you get them you
don't have to pick out trash.
I also have a power pecan cracker. Around here the pecans have been on
the ground all fall and winter and are getting a little rancid.

Here, there are still a LOT on the trees.

I've seen the rollers, and for their efficiency, simplicity, and
reliability, they are a thought. What kind of power cracker do you have?
All I have seen are spendy.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2013 1:28 PM, Steve B wrote:

It DOES work, as I went yesterday and tried it. The major factor
seemed to be that the filter clogged quite a bit after filling one 22
gallon vacuum completely. Probably fixed by having an extra filter
or two to change out frequently. As for restrictions, it worked
well, and only lessened when some got clogged in the hose. Which was
right at the intake, or at the entrance to the vacuum. And then that
was fixed immediately by manipulation.

Maybe it's time to consider (depending upon how serious you are about
this project and how much work you're facing) to consider one of those
"Dust Deputies", etc that provide a collection container prior to the
filter/vacuum itself. I've seen the covers for trash cans (with 4"
ports") but you could probably rig something up to fit the 2" hoses or
whatever you have. Theory behind these is the heavy stuff (pecans and
all but the lightest material) drop into the garbage can and only fine
dust passes through to the filter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Dang. I went out yesterday, and filled a Shop-Vac 22 gal. 6.5 horse
vacuum to pick up 22 gallons worth. No clogging at all. I did put
in a deflector plate inside the vacuum so that they did not collide
with the filter, and so that any that had husks on them had the
husks jarred loose. It took an hour to fill one 22 gallon
container. I still have not separated the trash, so am not sure how
much I netted in pecans.

Now I'm disappointed hearing it won't work ................

I guess you can define picking up 22 galons of "stuff" in an hour
"working".

Seems a tad slow to me.

A rake and a shovel would probably take less time.

Lew