Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vacuum pump question

I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Depends what the odour is caused by. Try to find out what it has been
used for in the past. Ask the seller. The odour might be something
dangerous, but it might not. If it's something dangerous,
decontaminating it is a difficult job. If not, just change the oil.

Incidentally, the old belt-driven pumps are often much better made than
the modern direct-drive pumps, so they can be a really good deal.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-07, Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

I would not use alcohol near any seals.

Can you close the inlet and let it pump vacuum for an hour?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve,
No alcohol, unless you are opening up everything and cleaning/
repairing on the bench.
Drain and replace the oil.

If you are on the US side of the pond, I can send you some vacuum pump
oil for the refill.
I have several lifetimes supply,
DJ

On Mar 6, 8:19 pm, "Steve R." wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:19:41 +0000, Steve R. wrote:

I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive
odour. What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in
terms of lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Steve R.

Steve:

That will only work for a while, and once you sober up the hangover will
be horrendous. If you find yourself persistently seeking solutions in
the bottle I suggest a good 12-step program.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:19:41 +0000, Steve R. wrote:

I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive
odour. What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in
terms of lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Steve R.

Steve:

That will only work for a while, and once you sober up the hangover will
be horrendous. If you find yourself persistently seeking solutions in
the bottle I suggest a good 12-step program.

Well spotted, Tim. That's funny!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check and see if there is a filter on the input side which will need
to be replaced. The more expensive units have a filter to prevent
foreign objects from getting into the pump and destroying the
precision parts. These filters (like an automotive fuel filter) tend
to trap odors and materials, whereas the metal parts of the pump
itself are unlikely to trap odors. For the same reason as the filter
was originally intended, you should avoid putting any liquid,
particularly solvent, into a vacuum pump, unless you have the entire
thing disassembled on a bench. These pumps are designed strictly for
air and gas use, not liquid or aerosol. If it's ex-medical, it was
probably used for suction or something, with the vacuum evacuating air
from a filter/trap unit, and the waste being sucked into the trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:19:41 GMT, "Steve R." wrote:

I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

First of all, what kind of pump is it? There's a few types that could
be used in a medical profession. Is it a simple pump like a Gast, or a
"real" 2-stage pump? If the latter, sometimes the oil gets
contaminated and stinks. HyVac makes an oil that you use to flush out
the pump, then refill with new oil. Works great. Otherwise, rebuilding
will take care of it. Beware, though, a rebuild kit for a 2-stage pump
can easily run over $200.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe fired this volley in
:
Beware, though, a rebuild kit for a 2-stage pump
can easily run over $200.

yeah... and with a little careful shopping, you can get a brand new
Robinaire HVAC pump (good down to about .2u) for under $250.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:34:20 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus24341 quickly quoth:

On 2008-03-07, Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

I would not use alcohol near any seals.

Yeah, those drunken bastiches might fall off the dock and drown.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

don't run alcohol though a vacuum pump with the motor running.

compressed air + alcohol = engine or fire.

vacuum pump oil itself can smell horrible even without unknown stuff mixed
in.

I don't mind tearing pumps apart, as long as I know what they were used
for, or were rebuilt and came with fresh oil.

If you don't want to tear it apart, you could try flushing it and dumping
in fresh vacuum pump oil and repeating.

I always get standard pump and difusion pump oil from kurt lesker
company. They have incredible tech support, and can surely tell you more
about your pump than you could find on the internet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Steve R. wrote:
I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive
odour. What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in
terms of lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

Depends what the odour is caused by. Try to find out what it has been used
for in the past. Ask the seller. The odour might be something dangerous,
but it might not. If it's something dangerous, decontaminating it is a
difficult job. If not, just change the oil.

Incidentally, the old belt-driven pumps are often much better made than
the modern direct-drive pumps, so they can be a really good deal.

Best wishes,

Chris

It's just a little portable direct drive unit. The manual suggests that
should be used for suctioning out newborn babies, and small surgical wounds.
I have no way of tracing the original user. It was donated to a local thrift
store, but probably came from out of town.

I decided to buy it anyway (under $20.00). It will have to live outside
until the smell is gone.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"woodworker88" wrote in message
Check and see if there is a filter on the input side which will need
to be replaced. The more expensive units have a filter to prevent
foreign objects from getting into the pump and destroying the
precision parts. These filters (like an automotive fuel filter) tend
to trap odors and materials, whereas the metal parts of the pump
itself are unlikely to trap odors. For the same reason as the filter
was originally intended, you should avoid putting any liquid,
particularly solvent, into a vacuum pump, unless you have the entire
thing disassembled on a bench. These pumps are designed strictly for
air and gas use, not liquid or aerosol. If it's ex-medical, it was
probably used for suction or something, with the vacuum evacuating air
from a filter/trap unit, and the waste being sucked into the trap.

This one is for medical use, as in suction, and has a bottle for the sucked
up fluids. It's rated at 25 inches of Hg max.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-08, Steve R. wrote:

[...]

I would get rid of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it got used and was not properly cleaned. What make/model is
it. Many of the portable units come apart and can be sterilized in an
autoclave. All of ours can be and they are various years. Depending on
the unit replacement parts are likely available. The Laerdal and
DevilBiss units we have can be stripped down. These units do not use oil
usually, they have nylon or similar rings and parts in the pumps.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve R. wrote:
[...]

Thanks!. The trap will come apart. At the moment it's plumped up with
surgical tubing. That will be disposed of. I'm sure that it's oil free. I
will check on the make. It's late at night here, and the pump is in the
trunk of the car, outside. I thought it might be useful for testing
automotive vacuum relays, and debubbleising stuff I do in the workshop. No
way will I throw it out!

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve R." wrote in message

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve R. wrote:
[...]

Arrrg! That should have been "plumbed up".

By the way, I have used high vacuum equipment. The pump I have is not in
that category.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-07, Mechanical Magic wrote:
Steve,
No alcohol, unless you are opening up everything and cleaning/
repairing on the bench.
Drain and replace the oil.

Based on the intended use, it may not *have* any oil. It may be
a diaphragm type pump, or a rotary vane pump. The intended use does
*not* need the high vacuum which an oil filled pump can produce.

Perhaps a photo posted to the dropbox
http://www.metalworking.com would make it easier to tell what kind of
pump it is. (Once you have acknowledgement that the photo is up on the
dropbox, then post the URL to it here.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-07, Mechanical Magic wrote:
Steve,
No alcohol, unless you are opening up everything and cleaning/
repairing on the bench.
Drain and replace the oil.

Based on the intended use, it may not *have* any oil. It may be
a diaphragm type pump, or a rotary vane pump. The intended use does
*not* need the high vacuum which an oil filled pump can produce.

Perhaps a photo posted to the dropbox
http://www.metalworking.com would make it easier to tell what kind of
pump it is. (Once you have acknowledgement that the photo is up on the
dropbox, then post the URL to it here.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

It may be a few days before I can photograph it. Rain is pending, and I do
not want to bring it into the house until it's sterile.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:46:35 GMT, Steve R. wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Based on the intended use, it may not *have* any oil. It may be
a diaphragm type pump, or a rotary vane pump. The intended use does
*not* need the high vacuum which an oil filled pump can produce.

It may be a few days before I can photograph it. Rain is pending, and I do
not want to bring it into the house until it's sterile.

There is a third type of suction pump used in biomedical applications,
uses a heating element inside an air canister, with check valves on the
input and output. Heating element cycles on, air expands & gets pushed
out one side. Heater turns off, it sucks air in through the other
checkvalve. If nurses hook it up wrong or if the jar to catch the blech
gets full, all that crud gets sucked into the canister & cooks on the
heating element. Probably the worst job I ever had to do as a biomed
tech was to fix that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 04:19:41 GMT, "Steve R." wrote:

I have a chance to get an old, but serviceable medical vacuum pump, at a
very reasonable price. When I switched it, gave off a very offensive odour.
What is the best way to decontaminate the thing? I am thinking in terms of
lots of alcohol, but am open to suggestions.

I used a spare vacuum pump a few years ago rather than suck on a pipe
to assist in syphoning some petrol. I didn't use a fluid trap but
turned off the pump as soon as soon as I possibly could - despite that
a tiny, minscule drop of fuel somehow reached the pump. Nothing, not
even multiple changes of oil would make the whiff of petrol go away
every time the pump was used (for composites consolidation). In the
end a full strip and seal change was necessary.