Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ongoing Shop Stuff: Mission Hall Table

On 2/20/2011 5:39 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...KCenYudjdHmeQ#

For those interested in downloading the actual SU file, it is available
in the Google 3D Warehouse at:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&prevs tart=0

For those with any interest, knock yourself out using as a basis for
your own non-commercial use.

Finishing up the all odds and ends of a kitchen project takes up a lot
of shop time, but this project does manage to get some sporadic work
especially when the shop driveway is blocked for a couple of hours by a
moving truck, effectively locking me in

All joinery glued up and complete ... top and shelf still need to be
sanded, cut to proper dimensions, edge beveled and attached:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...03086210061698

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
All joinery glued up and complete ... top and shelf still need to be
sanded, cut to proper dimensions, edge beveled and attached:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...03086210061698

Very nice and really clean lines. With your permission, I'll steal the image
for a future project of my own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2011 7:13 AM, Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
All joinery glued up and complete ... top and shelf still need to be
sanded, cut to proper dimensions, edge beveled and attached:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...03086210061698

Very nice and really clean lines. With your permission, I'll steal the image
for a future project of my own.

Absolutely. Be my guest ... to the Sketchup file and all the images you
may need to build your own.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Absolutely. Be my guest ... to the Sketchup file and all the images you
may need to build your own.

I meant to ask since I haven't followed all your comments on this
construction. Do you hand cut your mortices with a drill and then clean it
up with a chisel on a project like this or do you use some kind of mortise
machine?

Don't know if I mentioned it, but my fear of attempting real mortise and
tenon construction led me to construct my garden table feet each with two
pieces of 2x10 cedar. On each I cut a half lap with the tablesaw dado blade
and then glued the two pieces together to form through mortises. Then I cut
tenons on each end of the table legs and glued them in.

This 'shortcut' process along with the additional cost that 4x10 cedar
planks would have cost me, were my mitigating factors when deciding on
contruction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2011 8:30 AM, Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
Absolutely. Be my guest ... to the Sketchup file and all the images you
may need to build your own.

I meant to ask since I haven't followed all your comments on this
construction. Do you hand cut your mortices with a drill and then clean it
up with a chisel on a project like this or do you use some kind of mortise
machine?

I cut square mortises for "traditional" M&T joints with a Delta, hollow
chisel, mortiser; and mortises for loose tenons with a Multi-Router.

Both were used on this particular project.

Don't know if I mentioned it, but my fear of attempting real mortise and
tenon construction led me to construct my garden table feet each with two
pieces of 2x10 cedar. On each I cut a half lap with the tablesaw dado blade
and then glued the two pieces together to form through mortises. Then I cut
tenons on each end of the table legs and glued them in.

This 'shortcut' process along with the additional cost that 4x10 cedar
planks would have cost me, were my mitigating factors when deciding on
contruction.

Nothing wrong with that ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net