Default Help !!! power start button on birmingham Lathe

I just bought a Birmingham 12x36 gearhead lathe. Installed a 220v outlet in
the garage. Plugged it in and looked for the power start button. the manual
said there was one, but I could not find it. The only power button I could
find is the jog/inch button. That button just jogs the lathe. If I hold it
down it continues to run but I can't imagine that Birmingham had intended
the operator to hold the jog button down to turn parts. There is a red
reset button but that just breaks the circuit and shuts things off. There
is a green power light that looks like a button but it is just a light. It
can't be pushed. Were the heck is the button that lets the lathe run
continually without being held down???? The manual is very unclear and
amateur....Birmingham needs to hire a technical writer.

Kimball

Brian Lawson

Hey Kimball,

On many of these lathes, the "spindle" control is a lever on the
carriage. It is most easily identified if the machine has more than
one long shaft low and tucked in behind the carriage across the front
of the lathe running from the headstock gear-case full length of the
bed to the end of the lathe bed) . In every case, the first rod is to
allow threading, and if there is only one, then there must be some
other place to "start" the spindle. I would be very surprised though
if you have a "JOG" button and ONLY one long shaft (the lead screw). I
suspect that you do in fact have three shafts..the upper one is
threaded, and rotates when you want to do threading; ...the middle
one is to drive the carriage when NOT threading, and is quite plain;
.....and the lower one is connected to the lever on the side of the
carriage to do what you are asking about... lift up for REVERSE
SPINDLE (clockwise)...CENTER for OFF..and push DOWN for FORWARD
SPINDLE (counter-clockwise).

One nice thing about the JOG button is that it shows that you have the
machine wired up correctly.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:25:54 GMT, wrote:

I just bought a Birmingham 12x36 gearhead lathe. Installed a 220v outlet in
the garage. Plugged it in and looked for the power start button. the manual
said there was one, but I could not find it. The only power button I could
find is the jog/inch button. That button just jogs the lathe. If I hold it
down it continues to run but I can't imagine that Birmingham had intended
the operator to hold the jog button down to turn parts. There is a red
reset button but that just breaks the circuit and shuts things off. There
is a green power light that looks like a button but it is just a light. It
can't be pushed. Were the heck is the button that lets the lathe run
continually without being held down???? The manual is very unclear and
amateur....Birmingham needs to hire a technical writer.

Kimball

Brian Lawson

Hey Grant,

Hmmmm.. I hate to argue, but I've got three lathes, and two of them
have a jog button. In fact, at the moment, I have a fourth here for
"repair", and it has a jog button also.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:53:18 -0800, Grant Erwin

I just bought a Birmingham 12x36 gearhead lathe. Installed a 220v outlet in
the garage. Plugged it in and looked for the power start button. the manual
said there was one, but I could not find it. The only power button I could
find is the jog/inch button. That button just jogs the lathe. If I hold it
down it continues to run but I can't imagine that Birmingham had intended
the operator to hold the jog button down to turn parts. There is a red
reset button but that just breaks the circuit and shuts things off. There
is a green power light that looks like a button but it is just a light. It
can't be pushed. Were the heck is the button that lets the lathe run
continually without being held down???? The manual is very unclear and
amateur....Birmingham needs to hire a technical writer.

Kimball

Maybe they wired in the wrong switch on your machine? The one that should
have been on/off is instead jog/inch? Normally there isn't a jog/inch switch
on a lathe! - GWE

You were right It was the handle on the carriage the 3rd shaft down.

Thanks to all !!!

Now I will start fiddling to find out how to do things. Already figured out
the threading.

KT

Thanks to all for the help. I found it as one reply suggested on the
carriage.. very long handle which conects to the 3rd shaft down.

KT.

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 08:07 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Panasonic PT-51G40U shuts down 1 second after power button pushed. Jason D. Electronics Repair 0 February 24th 04 12:46 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM