Default Filling 5/8 holes with stick

Hi;
I need to fill 3 holes that are 5/8" dia in 1/4 mild steel.
I only have a stick welder. I will need to re-drill through
the area to correct the hole locations. What has worked best
for you (using only arc welder),would welding in a bolt and grinding
it flush be too dificult to re-drill through ?
Thanks
Bead_runner

Also cross posted to welding group

Useing a NiCad nickle rod would make easy drilling....

MP Toolman

Seems to me this would be easy to plug weld. I would use a copper back-up
plate. Weld around the ID of the hole and continue with a circular motion
until hole is filled. Flip over, chip flux and repeat on the back side if
necessary. Grind flush.

Mill

Hi;
I need to fill 3 holes that are 5/8" dia in 1/4 mild steel.
I only have a stick welder. I will need to re-drill through
the area to correct the hole locations. What has worked best
for you (using only arc welder),would welding in a bolt and grinding
it flush be too dificult to re-drill through ?
Thanks
Bead_runner

bead_runner

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).
I may use rebar for a hole filler.
Bead_runner

bead_runner

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).
I may use rebar for a hole filler.
Bead_runner

bead_runner

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).
I may use rebar for a hole filler.
Bead_runner

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
bead_runner wrote:
Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).
I may use rebar for a hole filler.

Well ... you've asked this enough times. If you are using
google, you should be warned that it takes a *long* time for something
posted on google to become visible there. We'll all see it long before
you do.

As for rebar -- I don't know about welding it, but what I
understand is that it tends to be almost anything, not a known grade of
steel, so it could be anything from butter soft to near diamond hard
after welding.

I would personally suggest that you find a good known mild steel
for the task.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Bruce L. Bergman

On 14 Dec 2004 17:00:40 -0800, "bead_runner"
wrote:

Is 1/2 rebar from home depot difficult to drill through(1/4" slice).
I may use rebar for a hole filler.
Bead_runner

Don't even /think/ about using rebar for anything else than it's
intended purpose as concrete reinforcement.

Rebar is like the "Mystery Meat" at your school cafeteria - remelted
scrap metal that comes from many different sources like appliances,
car bodies and engine blocks. It has wildly variable metallurgy (even
at opposite ends of the same finished piece), and usually can't be
welded - unless you pay extra for weldable rebar.

Fill the hole with weld metal (wire or stick) and at least you know
what the filler metal is. Or use a slug cut from a length of steel
bar stock.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Foundation holes Mat and Suzy Home Repair 4 September 8th 03 11:48 PM
Jig for perpendicular holes in a rod Alex Metalworking 4 August 24th 03 07:51 AM
Welding holes in a chaincase - advice wanted [email protected] UK diy 5 July 15th 03 09:25 AM