Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old farm style white grindwheels

On these old style stones what was the recommended SFM?
Thanks,
CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
On these old style stones what was the recommended SFM?
Thanks,
CP

A modern equivalent:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slow...ce=grizzly.com

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:39:25 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

On these old style stones what was the recommended SFM?

Whatever you could turn the handle at.

As a boy, I had to turn the handle to sharpen scythe blades and axes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 21:10:43 +0800, Alan wrote:

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:39:25 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

On these old style stones what was the recommended SFM?

Whatever you could turn the handle at.

As a boy, I had to turn the handle to sharpen scythe blades and axes.

The more up-market ones had pedals :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 06:46:06 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
On these old style stones what was the recommended SFM?
Thanks,
CP

A modern equivalent:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slow...ce=grizzly.com

Firefox fails to properly parse that (or the shortened version ending
in g0136.) and Griz doesn't care. "Use MSIE or Chrome" they say.

Let's see, 70rpm with a 10" wheel is 183-1/4sfm. The old 24" or 30"
farm stones ran about 15rpm, so that's 94 or 118ish SFM.

15rpm is from memory of working on one at the steam museum in Vista
and watching medieval movies with them running. About 4 seconds a
stroke was comfortable.

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slow-Speed-Grinder/G1036?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Firefox fails to properly parse that (or the shortened version ending
in g0136.) and Griz doesn't care. "Use MSIE or Chrome" they say.

My firefox had no problems with it, once I stretched the window
so the URL was not folded.

FWIW My firefix is an older one -- but I've already closed it so I can't
look up the version. :-) Anyway -- the machine running it *can't* run
either MSIE or Chrome -- and I'm glad of that.

I've edited the URL by adding a '' at the start and a '' at
the end, which makes some e-mail clients avoid breaking the URL.

Let's see, 70rpm with a 10" wheel is 183-1/4sfm. The old 24" or 30"
farm stones ran about 15rpm, so that's 94 or 118ish SFM.

According to the PDF of the manual, the 10" big wheel turns at
60 RPM. *And* it runs in water, and when left unused for a while, the
reservoir should be drained. Anyway -- the wheel is not expected to be
used dry.

15rpm is from memory of working on one at the steam museum in Vista
and watching medieval movies with them running. About 4 seconds a
stroke was comfortable.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
On these old style stones what was the recommended SFM?
Thanks,
CP

A modern equivalent:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slow-Speed-Grinder/G1036?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Firefox fails to properly parse that (or the shortened version ending
in g0136.) and Griz doesn't care. "Use MSIE or Chrome" they say.

My firefox had no problems with it, once I stretched the window
so the URL was not folded.

FWIW My firefix is an older one -- but I've already closed it so I can't
look up the version. :-) Anyway -- the machine running it *can't* run
either MSIE or Chrome -- and I'm glad of that.

Yeah, you're on some ancient and alien comp, Don.

I've edited the URL by adding a '' at the start and a '' at
the end, which makes some e-mail clients avoid breaking the URL.

Ditto, and the link listed is with the GT/LT signs.

Let's see, 70rpm with a 10" wheel is 183-1/4sfm. The old 24" or 30"
farm stones ran about 15rpm, so that's 94 or 118ish SFM.

According to the PDF of the manual, the 10" big wheel turns at
60 RPM. *And* it runs in water, and when left unused for a while, the
reservoir should be drained. Anyway -- the wheel is not expected to be
used dry.

That's interesting, as the quick info has it listed as 70rpm. That's
either a typo on the website or a change by the mfgr for Griz.

Old Farm Engines Weatherlawyer UK diy 38 May 3rd 16 09:26 AM
OT - saw my first solar farm David.WE.Roberts UK diy 24 October 12th 13 06:33 PM
The old style white diamond cutting compound. Bill J. Metalworking 0 June 4th 08 12:11 PM
Animal Farm Lucern Woodworking 1 December 6th 07 06:51 PM
Farm Program Pays $1.3 Billion to People Who Don't Farm AK Home Ownership 5 July 3rd 06 01:22 PM