Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Darned VFD blew up today!

Dang! Right in the middle of a five-hour job, and the VFD on our bed
router upchucked! Darn... $1100 for a new one.

And unfortunately, this stupid router's control is tightly knit into some
proprietary 'uniqueness' of this one brand (Delta)... so I can't just
easily slip in a generic.

I'll fix that, when work slacks, and I re-fit the dumb thing with a decent
control and servos instead of steppers.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:37:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! Right in the middle of a five-hour job, and the VFD on our bed
router upchucked! Darn... $1100 for a new one.

And unfortunately, this stupid router's control is tightly knit into some
proprietary 'uniqueness' of this one brand (Delta)... so I can't just
easily slip in a generic.

I'll fix that, when work slacks, and I re-fit the dumb thing with a decent
control and servos instead of steppers.

Lloyd

www.drivesdirect.com

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:37:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! Right in the middle of a five-hour job, and the VFD on our bed
router upchucked! Darn... $1100 for a new one.

And unfortunately, this stupid router's control is tightly knit into some
proprietary 'uniqueness' of this one brand (Delta)... so I can't just
easily slip in a generic.

I'll fix that, when work slacks, and I re-fit the dumb thing with a decent
control and servos instead of steppers.

Lloyd

www.drivesdirect.com

Hard drives?

No more like this: http://www.driveswarehouse.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

www.drivesdirect.com

Really, Gunner? I DID write VFD, not "hard drive"!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 4.170:

I DID write VFD

BTW... Bob. Drives Warehouse was the same price (within $40) for a generic
7.5KW unit of the Delta drive at retail... so I think the only reason the
ShopSabre folks used it was so they could 'rig' the unit around some of the
proprietary features of the Delta.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 06:05:56 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

www.drivesdirect.com

Really, Gunner? I DID write VFD, not "hard drive"!

As always, I'm more about quantity than quality. shrug

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

"Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

As always, I'm more about quantity than quality. shrug

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

Don't pose as Gunner. We had you 'made' weeks ago. He made a mistake.

So did you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:11:27 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

As always, I'm more about quantity than quality. shrug

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

Don't pose as Gunner. We had you 'made' weeks ago. He made a mistake.

I don't make mistakes which helps my invinsibilti. Ive been treated for injuries as a result of
rodeo, motorcycles, knives, explosive devices, assault. aircraft crashes and motor vehicle crashes.
And nobdy made me. I'm self made except for the half million I split with my sister and the free
medical care and the free ride tax wise. shrug

Gunner (posting from my new mobile office)

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for
'entrepreneur'."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article 0, Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Dang! Right in the middle of a five-hour job, and the VFD on our bed
router upchucked! Darn... $1100 for a new one.

And unfortunately, this stupid router's control is tightly knit into some
proprietary 'uniqueness' of this one brand (Delta)... so I can't just
easily slip in a generic.

I'll fix that, when work slacks, and I re-fit the dumb thing with a decent
control and servos instead of steppers.

I wouldn't assume defeat without looking. The interfaces of VFDs are
pretty similar. And they may be using the 0-10 Volt interface with
polarity, or the like, to command motor speed, as part of the position
loop.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

my invinsibilti

Right... Even our _real_ Gunner can spell better than that, and he doesn't
claim to be a 'speller'.

Give it up, creep.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Gwinn fired this volley in
:

I wouldn't assume defeat without looking. The interfaces of VFDs are
pretty similar. And they may be using the 0-10 Volt interface with
polarity, or the like, to command motor speed, as part of the position
loop.

Joe Gwinn

Joe, the VFD turns out to be no more expensive (at retail) than the more
'generic' ones, and ALSO HAS the more generic interface lines... it's
just that the control for this stupid ShopSabre unit uses the proprietary
methods. I can use this same VFD in a more 'compatible' way when I re-
fit the system.

The ShopSabre folks want $600 MORE for the same VFD! They're crooks.

Besides that, there are all sorts of unprotected ways and linear
bearings, exposed screws without any defense against particulates
contamination -- just all SORTS of _fundamental_design_defects_ which CAN
be cured with careful attention.

Heck, they even mounted the VFD RIGHT IN the chips stream! There's 40
sq. ft. of area under the table, and they put the thing right where chips
fall into it on every job (except, I installed a sheet metal shield over
it to prevent that. When the new one gets here Tuesday, I'm mounting it
on a stand under the table!

So... after "the season" (fireworks, remember?), I'm going to rip this
thing down to bones and re-do the whole affair... probably with Mach3
(just because it's so _available_ and well-used... so a lot of assistance
out there for tuning and tweaks). Ehh... maybe I'll go with LinuxCNC,
but I haven't yet studied the issues enough to be sure.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 06:05:56 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

www.drivesdirect.com

Really, Gunner? I DID write VFD, not "hard drive"!

Lloyd

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...Catalog/Drives

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

That's OK... your "alter-ego" replied for you earlier. (noted!)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Geez, just say you called an electrical contractor please? ...did you?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:10:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

That's OK... your "alter-ego" replied for you earlier. (noted!)

Lloyd

Did he? I killfiled myself yesterday, so never see him anymore. I had
to, just to keep Larry happy.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Geez, just say you called an electrical contractor please? ...did
you?

Several of us here including Lloyd know how to to design
electromechanical equipment as well as build and repair it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E.Sponenburgh wrote:

Who? ME?

No, King kong.

I have just a _little_ experience with this
stuff

So what? Everybody says that. You had a question that an actual electrical contractor or supplier could address, so you should actually ask an electrical contractor or suppier.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:14:29 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

So what? Everybody says that. You had a question that an actual
electrical contractor or supplier could address, so you should
actually ask an electrical contractor or suppier.

Umm... generally, "Electrical contractors" don't do this sort of repair,
and if they do ANY installation at all, it's to attach house power to the
VFD.

True indeed.

I'm an Electronics Technician and Electronics Design Engineer (retired)
by trade. One does not trouble-shoot circuitry of this complexity using
an "electrical contractor".

I get phone calls from electrical contractors asking how to set this
kind of thing up, with some regularity.

"Everybody" may say they have experience at something. I did it - or
later managed it - for a living for 35 years; from age 17, when I was a
senior QC lab technician for Florida Transitron, prototyping and testing
small toriodal transformers for the military. I was a licensed Ham Radio
operator at 15 (and in case you don't know... back then, you had to know
some electronics to get a ticket!)

Then, I switched to the fireworks industry (Both 'techy' stuff, see?
Similar management issues, even if not the same technology) and managed a
major US stage and theme park fireworks manufacturer for a decade.

You, on the other hand, don't _sound_ as if you've ever wired a light
switch!

Folks... do NOT trust this guy changing the batteries in your penlight!
He might have to call an electrical contractor!

Lloyd

Nailed it!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try to understand why it blew - is it under strain due to dry shafts ?
Wrong lube or something causing more back pressure ... Might be
important to check first - less you buy another in due time.

Martin

On 6/24/2016 9:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:37:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! Right in the middle of a five-hour job, and the VFD on our bed
router upchucked! Darn... $1100 for a new one.

And unfortunately, this stupid router's control is tightly knit into some
proprietary 'uniqueness' of this one brand (Delta)... so I can't just
easily slip in a generic.

I'll fix that, when work slacks, and I re-fit the dumb thing with a decent
control and servos instead of steppers.

Lloyd

www.drivesdirect.com

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:34:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:10:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

That's OK... your "alter-ego" replied for you earlier. (noted!)

Lloyd

Did he? I killfiled myself yesterday, so never see him anymore. I had
to, just to keep Larry happy.

And you get the clap for that, my friend.

clap, clap, clap

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 18:33:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
Geez, just say you called an electrical contractor please? ...did
you?

Several of us here including Lloyd know how to to design
electromechanical equipment as well as build and repair it.

You forgot to mention me. VBG I do all of that plus engineering and Ive got hummm...3-4 Associates
Degrees...but I could go for a Bachlers..(sp?) But first I need to scrounge enough cash to get Hotel
Econoline out of the shp. shrug

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:10:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

That's OK... your "alter-ego" replied for you earlier. (noted!)

Lloyd

Did he? I killfiled myself yesterday, so never see him anymore. I had
to, just to keep Larry happy.

And you get the clap for that, my friend.

clap, clap, clap

Does that mean I should "Feel the Bern"?

Snicker

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Try to understand why it blew - is it under strain due to dry shafts ?
Wrong lube or something causing more back pressure ... Might be
important to check first - less you buy another in due time.

It's 12 years old, used 8 hours a day, daily for 8years of that, and thrice
weekly for the last 4. "Dry Shafts"? "Back pressure"? "Wrong Lube"? This
is a VFD. A 10HP spindle driver.

It blew up upon application of power, not while cutting.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Lloyd E.Sponenburgh wrote:

Who? ME?

No, King kong.

I have just a _little_ experience with this
stuff

So what? Everybody says that. You had a question that an actual
electrical contractor or supplier could address, so you should
actually ask an electrical contractor or suppier.

I've learned about code requirements from contractors but never met
one who could answer the most basic electrical engineering questions.
They just become vague and defensive and I back off and try to find
something they do understand, like the rules for grid tie inverter
service disconnects or portable generator neutral-ground bonding. The
codes have changed since I worked as an industrial electrician in the
1970's.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:36:00 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:59:31 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

my invinsibilti

Right... Even our _real_ Gunner can spell better than that,

No I cant.

giggle At least you ACK it.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:10:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

That's OK... your "alter-ego" replied for you earlier. (noted!)

Lloyd

Did he? I killfiled myself yesterday, so never see him anymore. I had
to, just to keep Larry happy.

And you get the clap for that, my friend.

clap, clap, clap

Does that mean I should "Feel the Bern"?

Snicker

No. Pump the Trump.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:10:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
om:

Gack!! Sorry about that! I was doing something else and my head was
not properly engaged.

That's OK... your "alter-ego" replied for you earlier. (noted!)

Lloyd

Did he? I killfiled myself yesterday, so never see him anymore. I had
to, just to keep Larry happy.

And you get the clap for that, my friend.

clap, clap, clap

Does that mean I should "Feel the Bern"?

Snicker

No. Pump the Trump.

Yes! You guys will be very amazed at how much your lives will improve once I'm in charge. Neither of
you will have to go to work. You can stay home and watch my beautiful family on TV and imagine you
are me. And post all you want! You will be so happy, believe me.

D.T.

"My IQ is one of the highest — and you all know it! Please don't feel so stupid or insecure; it's
not your fault."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Donald J. Trump" wrote in message

Yes! You guys will be very amazed at how much your lives will
improve once I'm in charge. Neither of
you will have to go to work. You can stay home and watch my
beautiful family on TV and imagine you
are me. And post all you want! You will be so happy, believe me.

D.T.

"My IQ is one of the highest - and you all know it! Please don't
feel so stupid or insecure; it's
not your fault."

Keep this up, you need much more practice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 7:47:38 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
Lloyd E.Sponenburgh wrote:

Who? ME?

No, King kong.

I have just a _little_ experience with this
stuff

So what? Everybody says that. You had a question that an actual
electrical contractor or supplier could address, so you should
actually ask an electrical contractor or suppier.

I've learned about code requirements from contractors but never met
one who could answer the most basic electrical engineering questions.

Working in an office with prints is safe and no one is likely to get shocked. I once heard someone say they didn't think they'd ever seen or even heard of someone with a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) college degree of any sort working in a hands-on or non-office environment. But a lab?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Geez, just say you called an electrical contractor please? ...did
you?

Several of us here including Lloyd know how to to design
electromechanical equipment as well as build and repair it.

You forgot to mention me. VBG I do all of that plus engineering and Ive got hummm...3-4 Associates
Degrees...but I could go for a Bachlers..(sp?)

Along with earning a high school diploma many school districts will help you get a two year trade school degree at the same time (like in plumbing, HVAC or electrical).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 11:27:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Donald J. Trump" wrote in message
.. .

Yes! You guys will be very amazed at how much your lives will
improve once I'm in charge. Neither of
you will have to go to work. You can stay home and watch my
beautiful family on TV and imagine you
are me. And post all you want! You will be so happy, believe me.

D.T.

"My IQ is one of the highest - and you all know it! Please don't
feel so stupid or insecure; it's
not your fault."

Keep this up, you need much more practice.

I already have decades of practice getting losers to worship me. Now I am the leader of their party
and about to put my brand on the White House. Vote for me and I'll kick all the scroungers off the
dole and use the money saved to build solid gold statues of David Hannum to guard the entrances to
all my mansions.

D.T.

“All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be
expected.”
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Donald J. Trump fired this volley in
:

Now I am the leader of their party

Heh! Yep you ARE the lead 'loser'... but you aren't Trump. You're either
Banqueer in disguise, or a creep just as bad!

Time for another 'block'.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Lloyd E.Sponenburgh wrote:

Who? ME?

No, King kong.

I have just a _little_ experience with this
stuff

So what? Everybody says that. You had a question that an actual
electrical contractor or supplier could address, so you should
actually ask an electrical contractor or suppier.

I've learned about code requirements from contractors but never met
one who could answer the most basic electrical engineering
questions.

Working in an office with prints is safe and no one is likely to get
shocked. I once heard someone say they didn't think they'd ever seen
or even heard of someone with a Science, Technology, Engineering or
Math (STEM) college degree of any sort working in a hands-on or
non-office environment. But a lab?

=========

They never met an industrial chemist, who has to learn to
do -everything- themselves. In order to mix the Urethane casting resin
I had to go out and manhandle the drums it came in. The chemical shed
was too small for a forklift, I think it once housed a wagon or
carriage
http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashde...id=863&cx=drum

Then as an Army communications network repairman I learned to maintain
the Diesel truck I drove.
http://www.primeportal.net/trucks/ge...m109_shop_van/
Although I was a sergeant the Signal Corps didn't have spare enlisted
men to pass such tasks down to, and I wanted to learn self-reliance. I
was driving it around rural Germany where garages don't have
English-size wrenches.

I had to fly out to the factories to install and test the equipment I
built for GM. Before making me a Project Manager they had me
apprentice my way up through all the assembly, fabrication and
drafting slots.

The next few R&D jobs were indoors at a lab bench, then at Mitre I had
to go out to where the antennas were, once in weather that grounded
airliners. I kept Air Force mechanics' coveralls in the truck in case
I had to crawl under it (or as insurance against having to). They kept
me comfortably warm taking spectrum analyzer readings at the antenna
while the other tech huddled in the van writing them down, with the
heater roaring full blast. I kept thinking of the intended users, in
similar or worse weather on a mountain in Afghanistan.

I think at least half the people I've met while climbing mountains and
running rivers were engineers.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Donald J. Trump" wrote in message

Mr Trump, do you remember the conversation we had in the VFW hall
about presidential qualifications?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 13:03:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Donald J. Trump" wrote in message
.. .

Mr Trump, do you remember the conversation we had in the VFW hall
about presidential qualifications?

I make up the rules as I go. All I care about is that you'll vote for me and I know you will. You
deserve me. Corey told me to spend my spare time sweet-talking attendees at monster truck rallies. I
gave him the boot because I knew that RCM was populated with my kind of people. The few exceptions
are apparently scheduled to be hung from lamp posts which means they don't count.

D.T.

"I love the poorly educated"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So the 10hp motor might not turn over as fast anymore and caused
excessive current to flow, blowing up the VFD. Dirty bearings maybe
just got enough. The load was applied when it was designed to be
off and turned on once the motor was up to speed...

Was the motor shorted ? is there a shorted winding and just sat there
in a stall current to long ?

Think of the SYSTEM LLoyd - not just the source. You might buy 2 or 3
VFD's yet.

Now if the VFD is turned on with the motor disconnected, there might be
another issue. And so forth.

Martin

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Try to understand why it blew - is it under strain due to dry shafts ?
Wrong lube or something causing more back pressure ... Might be
important to check first - less you buy another in due time.

It's 12 years old, used 8 hours a day, daily for 8years of that, and thrice
weekly for the last 4. "Dry Shafts"? "Back pressure"? "Wrong Lube"? This
is a VFD. A 10HP spindle driver.

It blew up upon application of power, not while cutting.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 22:14:50 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

So the 10hp motor might not turn over as fast anymore and caused
excessive current to flow, blowing up the VFD. Dirty bearings maybe
just got enough. The load was applied when it was designed to be
off and turned on once the motor was up to speed...

Was the motor shorted ? is there a shorted winding and just sat there
in a stall current to long ?

Think of the SYSTEM LLoyd - not just the source. You might buy 2 or 3
VFD's yet.

Now if the VFD is turned on with the motor disconnected, there might be
another issue. And so forth.

Martin

VFD design has some strengths and some weaknesses. Many/most VFDs
have a couple of BIG capacitors in them...and they blow up and take
out the main power transistors. In fact..I have a decent sized box
with about 8 blown VFDs that came out of machines that were running
perfectly and then one day..they didnt work anymore. Generally inrush
current takes out the caps and then the trannys.

Mitsubishi was the worst in my experience..one could get about 10 yrs
out of them..then Poof.

My mill had one attached to it for a decade (PC3) ..and one day..it
quit. Caps went bad. Ive not gotten around to replacing them as of
yet.

ALL of the CNC machines that I fix use a VFD to run speed control,
along with a gearbox. When a cnc quites spinning the spindle..its
almost Always the VFD gone bad.

Gunner