Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Darned VFD blew up today!

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:14:29 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

So what? Everybody says that. You had a question that an actual
electrical contractor or supplier could address, so you should
actually ask an electrical contractor or suppier.

Umm... generally, "Electrical contractors" don't do this sort of repair,
and if they do ANY installation at all, it's to attach house power to the
VFD.

True indeed.

I'm an Electronics Technician and Electronics Design Engineer (retired)
by trade. One does not trouble-shoot circuitry of this complexity using
an "electrical contractor".

I get phone calls from electrical contractors asking how to set this
kind of thing up, with some regularity.

"Everybody" may say they have experience at something. I did it - or
later managed it - for a living for 35 years; from age 17, when I was a
senior QC lab technician for Florida Transitron, prototyping and testing
small toriodal transformers for the military. I was a licensed Ham Radio
operator at 15 (and in case you don't know... back then, you had to know
some electronics to get a ticket!)

Then, I switched to the fireworks industry (Both 'techy' stuff, see?
Similar management issues, even if not the same technology) and managed a
major US stage and theme park fireworks manufacturer for a decade.

You, on the other hand, don't _sound_ as if you've ever wired a light
switch!

Folks... do NOT trust this guy changing the batteries in your penlight!
He might have to call an electrical contractor!

Lloyd

Nailed it!

---