USPS Smartpost Insurance Scam

Old February 14th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default USPS Smartpost Insurance Scam

FedEx Smartpost USPS Insurance Fraud Scam Buyer Beware Alert

FedEx Smartpost is so slow. It usually takes 8 to 9 days to go cross
USA. 3-4 days to just go to same or an adjoining state. They use USPS
parcel post so there is a high percentage that your package will be
lost.

They lead you to believe that there is $100 insurance on your
shipments. However when a package is lost or not delivered, they will
tell you there responsibility is only to pick up the package. The USPS
system is responsible after the initial pick up, and of course, there
is no insurance with the USPS Parcel Post system. They dispose of your
package at the local post office the package is presumed lost, or
probably employees split it all up

A too slow method to ship with deceptive insurance practices. False
implied practices, such as making you think you are getting $100
insurance; they even ask for the phone number of the receiver. This is
a business buyer beware situation. Donít get involved unless you also
insure your packages by a 3rd party and have over a week to get it to
them.

I would like to report them to the BBB, FTC, US Government, but they
are both untouchable. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old February 14th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/13/2012 9:15 PM, jaunb wrote:
[...]

Don't use it?

--
:3 )~
Old February 14th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:15:28 -0800 (PST), jaunb
wrote:

FedEx Smartpost USPS Insurance Fraud Scam Buyer Beware Alert

FedEx Smartpost is so slow. It usually takes 8 to 9 days to go cross
USA. 3-4 days to just go to same or an adjoining state. They use USPS
parcel post so there is a high percentage that your package will be
lost.

I wondered about that. The last shipment I got was from L.A. and it
took nine days to make it 850 miles north into Oregon. Part of the
trip was the flight to Kent, WA, about 400 miles north of me. Go
figure.

[...]

Ship only UPS or DHL? I for one am reporting the delayed shipments to
both parties in the hopes that the sheer number of emails to FedEX and
USPS will prompt some kind of improvement. I haven't lost anything
yet.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Old February 14th 12, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb

On 2/13/2012 8:15 PM, jaunb wrote:
FedEx Smartpost USPS Insurance Fraud Scam Buyer Beware Alert

I would like to report them to the BBB, FTC, US Government, but they
are both untouchable. Anyone have any suggestions?

images.fedex.com/us/smartpostguide/FXSP_TermsConditions.pdf

Looks like they spelled it all out so no case against them.

I agree it appears to be of very little potential benefit to the user
and definitely a hassle if something goes wrong.

I have always had good luck w/ USPS, particularly w/ the newer
single-pricing boxes and w/ tracking/insurance thru USPS never had a
loss that wasn't covered altho I can only recall one time ever needing it.

Tracking is available if one takes advantage of it; would think if FedEx
were really serious about trying to promote the above they would realize
they need to deal w/ the issue. I'd expect this won't last long as
currently configured.

Old February 14th 12, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jaunb" wrote in message
[...]

Report it to the postmaster at the post office.

It should be considered mail fraud.if they are claiming the package shipped
by USPS has insurance when it has no insurance.

Robert

Old February 14th 12, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb

On 2/14/2012 6:16 AM, Robert wrote:

Report it to the postmaster at the post office.

It should be considered mail fraud.if they are claiming the package
shipped by USPS has insurance when it has no insurance.

They aren't--posted the link to the T&C above.

It's clear even though the "service" they're hawking is a lousy product
they covered their butts on their liability to only the time they handle
the package prior to them handing it over to the USPS.

Old February 14th 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I wondered about that. The last shipment I got was from L.A. and it
took nine days to make it 850 miles north into Oregon. Part of the
trip was the flight to Kent, WA, about 400 miles north of me. Go
figure.

Smartpost (misnamed) was bought up wholesale by fedex, who evidently
haven't figured out that the turkey tarnishes their reputation, as they
leave it running on it's craptastic model, as opposed to bringing it up
to the usual FedEx standard. Don't blame the USPS - if you want to ship
an insured package USPS, take it to the Post Office and do that, or have
them come pick it up. As with any hub and spoke, they ship it to their
hubs, regardless of it being past where you are. Mind you, the only
place I deal with that seems to use it normally is Amazon free shipping,
and 5-6 days of the delay there appears to be Amazon sitting on your
package (they claim it's shipped, but no tracking information is
available) because they want you to pay extra for faster shipping.
Amazon did refund the package they failed to deliver here.

In any case, the solution is to not use them - vote with your $.

Old February 15th 12, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I wondered about that. The last shipment I got was from L.A. and it
took nine days to make it 850 miles north into Oregon. Part of the
trip was the flight to Kent, WA, about 400 miles north of me. Go
figure.

On the other hand, FedEx ground is fairly cheap, and FedEx Home Delivery
is only a few cents higher than USPS Priority mail. And, usually several
days faster, trackable, and insurance is cheap. I use it for a lot
of my shipping to home addresses. They won't accept Home Delivery to a
business address.

I have never had a problem with FedEx - zero damage, zero lost
packages, etc. Domestic USPS is about the same, but I've had
all sorts of packages disappear on international postal shipments.
And, USPS won't insure full value on packages to many countries.

Jon
Old February 15th 12, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

FedEx Home Delivery is only a few cents higher than USPS Priority mail.
And, usually several
days faster, trackable, and insurance is cheap. I use it for a lot
of my shipping to home addresses.

Uhm, over the last five years or so I've sent several thousand packages
using USPS Priority mail and only VERY RARELY does it take over two days to
get all the way from west coast to east.

Fact is, along the I-5 corridor, customers typically recieve their package
along with next days mail as long as we were able to get it to the post
office before the 2:30 pm cut-off....( something which we always strive to
do ) and as you might imagine, we have NUMEROUS emails from customers who
were TOTALLY AMAZED at how quickly their order arrived.....

Screw Fed Ex--last time I called for a pickup ( sometimes customers want us
to ship on *their* account ) the ****ers never even showed up till the day
after the scheduled pickup time.

Old February 15th 12, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:VrCdnVf7kbb23KbSnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

[...]

I understand that Fed Ex Ground drivers are all independent contractors (but
not the Fed Ex Express drivers). I can not imagine how they maintain control
and quality over that kind of network without the kind of detailed oversight
that might make the goverment think they were employees.