Norelco Rotary Shaver Sharpening

Old September 11th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Norelco Rotary Shaver Sharpening

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Old September 11th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

Still easier to grow a beard. I haven't shaved for 29 years now. How many
others go my route?

Karl

Old September 11th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 11, 10:56 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

Still easier to grow a beard. I haven't shaved for 29 years now. How many
others go my route?

Karl

I have had a beard most of the time since I was 18. Every once in a
while I would get curious as to what I looked like and shave for a few
months. The older I got the less curious I was. Haven't shaved since
I was 44, six years ago.

CarlBoyd
Old September 11th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

Still easier to grow a beard. I haven't shaved for 29 years now. How many
others go my route?

In Florida? Are you insane? I just pop the guard off my hair
clippers once a week and remove the worst of it, unless I have to be
somewhere important.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Old September 11th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:19:50 -0700, JR North
wrote:

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

Yes, but the cages wear out, too. And when they wear out, it jams
the blade and strips the gears in the head, wrecking the razor. Now
that the razor is trash, the savings evaporate. DAMHIKT.

Don't step over a dollar to pick up a penny. At least buy new heads
every other time - it might work once, but not forever.

-- Bruce --

Old September 11th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:
I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

My Dad gave me a $5 plastic kit a few years ago to do just that. It was
basically a shallow plastic tube with an ID the same as the OD of the
blades. You also got bumch of little sandpaper discs sized to fit the
tube. Drop a disk into the tube grit side up, drop in a blade, rotate
for a few minutes with your finger. I'm lazy, I use the razor motor.
Doesn't seem to matter which way it turns. Repeat for the others. So far
it works every time.
Old September 12th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:56:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

Still easier to grow a beard. I haven't shaved for 29 years now. How many
others go my route?

I still shave my chin, but my mustache has been growing since I was 18
or 19. I trim that, BTW.

Viva la Cookie Duster!

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln
Old September 12th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:17:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

wrote:

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened
the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure
against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a
charm. They cut like brand new.

Yes, but the cages wear out, too. And when they wear out, it jams
the blade and strips the gears in the head, wrecking the razor. Now
that the razor is trash, the savings evaporate. DAMHIKT.

Don't step over a dollar to pick up a penny. At least buy new heads
every other time - it might work once, but not forever.

Please define "every other time", Bruce.

Old September 12th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Viva la Cookie Duster!

Who is Cookie, and why is she dusty?

Old September 12th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-11, Karl Townsend wrote:

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to
fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened

[ ... ]

charm. They cut like brand new.

Still easier to grow a beard. I haven't shaved for 29 years now. How many
others go my route?

I! 31-32 years I think.

Now -- around December, little kids start thinking that I'm
Santa. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564