Ariens Snowblower Auger Jams

Old January 25th 05, 05:51 PM
[email protected]

Default Ariens Snowblower Auger Jams

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I
need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it
either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the
auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What
else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged?
Thanks,

Ian

Old January 25th 05, 06:43 PM
Eric Tonks

Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging properly, or
the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

oups.com...

Old January 25th 05, 06:56 PM
DN B

See if there is a zerk grease fitting underneath on the drivetrain.

Old January 25th 05, 07:10 PM
Jeff Wisnia

Eric Tonks wrote:
Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging properly, or
the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

Pray inform us just how a loose belt is gonna stall the engine?

Read well before replying...

Jeff

oups.com...

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Old January 25th 05, 08:57 PM
Eric Tonks

You are right, I missed the "stall the engine" and saw the "slowed down"
part.
Although, I have had a loose belt that jumped one of the pulleys and jammed
itself between the pulley and part of the frame so that it stalled the
engine. One has to examine the whole drivetrain to locate the binding part.
One snowblower I used to own had a very "crude" and missaligned pulley/belt
drivetrain that was very difficult to keep belts on and operating once it
had a little wear on it.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Eric Tonks wrote:
Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging

properly, or
the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

Pray inform us just how a loose belt is gonna stall the engine?

Read well before replying...

Jeff

oups.com...

Old January 25th 05, 09:52 PM
djs0007

I have a 2 stage Ariens and after using it on Sunday for about 40
minutes it just shut down oin me and When I try to restart it it will
only run for about 35 seconds and then shuts down and smoke comes out
of the Carburator. Can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem? I
can't seem to find anyone that wants to repair it or at leasdt be open
past 5:00 PM for me to drop it off.
DJS