Jeff Wisnia

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I
need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it
either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the
auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What
else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged?
Thanks,

Ian

I'd shut the engine down, pull the sparkplug wire and disengage the belt
tightening "clutch". Then see if you can rotate the large belt pulley by
hand to help locate the binding.

If your Airen's is as old as mine, (Mine is circa '65) removing just two
bolts will let you easily tip the auger/blower part away from rest of
the machine, disengaging a forked coupling between them. That will let
you tell whether the binding is in the auger/blower section or back in
the wheel driving "transmission".

I once had a piece of thin rope get dragged in and wound up behind the
blower imnpeller. It got wedged in so tightly that it created an effect
like what you describe.

Good luck and let us know what you find,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)