Eric Tonks

You are right, I missed the "stall the engine" and saw the "slowed down"
part.
Although, I have had a loose belt that jumped one of the pulleys and jammed
itself between the pulley and part of the frame so that it stalled the
engine. One has to examine the whole drivetrain to locate the binding part.
One snowblower I used to own had a very "crude" and missaligned pulley/belt
drivetrain that was very difficult to keep belts on and operating once it
had a little wear on it.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Eric Tonks wrote:
Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging

properly, or
the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

Pray inform us just how a loose belt is gonna stall the engine?

Read well before replying...

Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I
need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it
either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the
auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What
else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged?
Thanks,

Ian

--
Jeffry Wisnia