DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ariens Snowblower Auger Jams (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/88242-ariens-snowblower-auger-jams.html)

[email protected] January 25th 05 05:51 PM

Ariens Snowblower Auger Jams

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I
need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it
either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the
auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What
else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged?
Thanks,

Ian

Duane Bozarth January 25th 05 06:39 PM

wrote:

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I
need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it
either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the
auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What
else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged?

Clutch slipping?

Bad bearings somewhere?

Bent shaft or other damage from having hit something last time operated?

DN B January 25th 05 06:56 PM

See if there is a zerk grease fitting underneath on the drivetrain.

Jeff Wisnia January 25th 05 07:10 PM

Eric Tonks wrote:
Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging properly, or
the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

Pray inform us just how a loose belt is gonna stall the engine?

Read well before replying...

Jeff

oups.com...

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Jeff Wisnia January 25th 05 07:19 PM

wrote:

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I
need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it
either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the
auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What
else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged?
Thanks,

Ian

I'd shut the engine down, pull the sparkplug wire and disengage the belt
tightening "clutch". Then see if you can rotate the large belt pulley by
hand to help locate the binding.

If your Airen's is as old as mine, (Mine is circa '65) removing just two
bolts will let you easily tip the auger/blower part away from rest of
the machine, disengaging a forked coupling between them. That will let
you tell whether the binding is in the auger/blower section or back in
the wheel driving "transmission".

I once had a piece of thin rope get dragged in and wound up behind the
blower imnpeller. It got wedged in so tightly that it created an effect
like what you describe.

Good luck and let us know what you find,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Eric Tonks January 25th 05 08:57 PM

You are right, I missed the "stall the engine" and saw the "slowed down"
part.
Although, I have had a loose belt that jumped one of the pulleys and jammed
itself between the pulley and part of the frame so that it stalled the
engine. One has to examine the whole drivetrain to locate the binding part.
One snowblower I used to own had a very "crude" and missaligned pulley/belt
drivetrain that was very difficult to keep belts on and operating once it
had a little wear on it.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Eric Tonks wrote:
Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging

properly, or
the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

Pray inform us just how a loose belt is gonna stall the engine?

Read well before replying...

Jeff

oups.com...

djs0007 January 25th 05 09:52 PM

I have a 2 stage Ariens and after using it on Sunday for about 40
minutes it just shut down oin me and When I try to restart it it will
only run for about 35 seconds and then shuts down and smoke comes out
of the Carburator. Can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem? I
can't seem to find anyone that wants to repair it or at leasdt be open
past 5:00 PM for me to drop it off.
DJS