Garage electric outlets not working

Old October 11th 04, 08:42 PM
Basha

Default Garage electric outlets not working

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha
Old October 11th 04, 08:45 PM
Speedy Jim

Basha wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

TEST and RESET each GFCI receptacle.

Switch the GFCI circuit breaker to the OFF position and then back ON.

Sometimes they can look like they are On when not.

Jim
Old October 11th 04, 08:49 PM
WORSS

Basha,

You need to determine where you have power and where you do not. I suspect
that there is another GFCI that you are not aware of that may have
tripped....look again. If not, you need to buy a cheap circuit tester at
your local hardware store. Some only need to be close to detect power. You
then need to see where your power stops. It must either be a tripped GFCI,
a bad breaker, or a disconnected wire. Also, try turning the breaker off
and then back on...sometimes it is hard to tell when they have tripped. If
you don't know what you are doing, call an electrician.

Bill
m...

Old October 11th 04, 09:00 PM
Tony Hwang

Basha wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

Hi,
Some times good looking GFCI breakers can be bad. Have a multi-meter?
Get an El Cheapo one if not, very handy for trouble-shooting.
Tony
Old October 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Rich

Get yourself a good circuit tester such as the
A.W. Sperry CS-600A to find the breaker.
Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

Old October 11th 04, 09:08 PM
Rudy

TEST and RESET each GFCI receptacle.

Switch the GFCI circuit breaker to the OFF position and then back ON.

Sometimes they can look like they are On when not.

If that doesnt work..Keep looking, theres another one

Old October 11th 04, 10:05 PM
TOM

Several replies about finding a GFCI are usually correct. Back in the
1990's, the GFCI outlets could be hidden almost anywhere - today
they are usually closer to the affected outlet.

Sneaky places the GFCI may be located:

Bathroom. Usually needed here, it may feed the garage.
Kitchen. Sometimes underneath the sink feeding the garbage
disposal, may also feed the garage.
Water heater closet. Will not feed an electric water heater,
but sometimes the closet is close to the garage, and the
GFCI may be hidden in there just because it's convient.

-- Tom

Old October 11th 04, 10:34 PM
slushfund

check the bathroom

Old October 11th 04, 10:45 PM
Tekkie

Basha posted for all of us....

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

Like the other answers it's a GFCI somewhere, look for outside outlets too.
--
Tekkie