How do I stop door from swinging open (or closed)?

Old December 28th 03, 09:34 PM
trader-of-some-jacks

Default How do I stop door from swinging open (or closed)?

Several of my interior doors, instead of staying in whatever position
I want them in, will swing further open or closed (unless of course
they're closed all the way).

Are there any simple remedies for this? By simple I mean, short of
reframing or rehanging the door.

I don't want to use door stops. I'd just like to figure out how I can
make the doors balanced enough to remain open at 5 or 20 or 40 or
whatever number of degrees I've opened them.
Old December 28th 03, 09:43 PM
Wayne Boatwright

trader-of-some-jacks wrote in
:

Several of my interior doors, instead of staying in whatever position
I want them in, will swing further open or closed (unless of course
they're closed all the way).

Are there any simple remedies for this? By simple I mean, short of
reframing or rehanging the door.

I don't want to use door stops. I'd just like to figure out how I can
make the doors balanced enough to remain open at 5 or 20 or 40 or
whatever number of degrees I've opened them.

Check the hinges to see if they need tightening. You can also shim one of
the hinges with thin cardboard which make just enough difference.

Wayne
Old December 28th 03, 09:52 PM
DanG

The simple solution is to remove 1 hinge pin, lay it on the concrete or
workbench, smack it once to bend it slightly, reinstall. Done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

Old December 28th 03, 10:50 PM
Joseph Meehan

If the door is set correctly, it will have a slight tendency to swing
closed or open against the wall. Not many people hanging doors today even
know that, let alone know how to achieve it. It appears yours was hung
correctly.

However your question is how to keep it where you want it. The simple
answer is to remove one or more hinge pins and bend them very slightly with
a hammer.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 29th 03, 02:52 AM
B Long

One of my doors does the same thing. I checked the wall and found it was
3/8" out of plumb. I removed one hinge, laid it on concrete and hit its
center to bend it a bit. Did it twice to get enough bow to it to get it to
bind enough to keep the door at whatever position I left it. Worked for a
few months and now the door swings open again.

Old December 29th 03, 10:38 PM
trader-of-some-jacks

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:34:46 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:

Several of my interior doors, instead of staying in whatever position
I want them in, will swing further open or closed (unless of course
they're closed all the way).

Are there any simple remedies for this? By simple I mean, short of
reframing or rehanging the door.

I don't want to use door stops. I'd just like to figure out how I can
make the doors balanced enough to remain open at 5 or 20 or 40 or
whatever number of degrees I've opened them.

Thanks to all who replied. I bent the hinge pins on the affected
doors, and for now anyway - PROBLEM SOLVED!

I pity those who are around when I try removing the pins... but that's
another problem for another day.
Old December 30th 03, 06:20 PM
Drummer of The Vibe

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message .. .
If the door is set correctly, it will have a slight tendency to swing
closed or open against the wall. Not many people hanging doors today even
know that, let alone know how to achieve it. It appears yours was hung
correctly.
Joseph E. Meehan

How's that Joe? Everything I've ever heard or read about hanging a
door says to keep the hinge side of the frame plumb in all directions.
That should create no tendancy for movement at any door position.
Perhaps you're mistakenly thinking of a refrigerator door's correct
operation? I'm thinking the OP has an out-of-plumb door jamb. The real
way find out is to put a level on it. If it's out slightly in the same
plane as the closed door, it may be corrected by shimming one of the
hinges out. This however could muck with the reveal of the door and
might cause it to bind. If the plumb is out perpendicular to the plane
of the closed door, well, you're looking at rehanging it.

Bobby
Old December 30th 03, 09:21 PM
Joseph Meehan

No that was from my father who spent many years doing doors as his
specialty. However as you will note, I did say SLIGHT. If there is going
to be an error made, or settling of the home, I would want it hung as he
suggested. If it were neutral to start with, chances are close to 50% that
over the years it will end up with a tendency to open itself and to swing
from a full open (against the wall) position out.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Drummer of The Vibe" wrote in message