HouseDreamer

Default Living in house while adding second floor

A.Can we actually live in the house while a second floor is being
added?

B. For how long are the furniture and goods inside the house exposed
to the elements with the roof off, or incomplete seal to the outdoors
from rain, or opossums (they like roof running here), or tree insects
(we're under a tree canopy).

C. I'm terribly allergic to the dust, fumes, molds, whatevers of
construction. We can arrange for me to temporarily live elsewhere for
a fixed amount of time if need be. The problem is that all the
additions I know of where the second floor is added, the timeline for
construction goes completely wacko, and there's just no good estimate
for the amount of time needed to move out. The planned schedule is
often compounded by the fact that it's an "older house" 1930's, and
therefore has "surprises" found during construction. What hope do I
have of entering into a second floor addition over all or part of the
house, and actually being able to move back in within months, instead
of a year or more? It's a 1300 sq ft house. How big can the
unexpected be?

D. I cannot have any cigarette smoking on the jobsite. Nor can we
allow the workers to run music boxes outside to amuse themselves.
Does anyone build this way?

E. Alternatively, we could limit the addition to an extension on the
back of the house and not overhead. Is it realistic to think that I
could live in the house for all but the last few weeks of construction
when they break through the back wall?

Thanks for all your help.
HouseDreamer
Pygoscelis Papua

"HouseDreamer" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You can't allow smoking in a house that will be wide opened? They can't
listen to music? You're terribly allergic to everything and you want to stay
there? Are you building this house in fantasy land? It's time for you to buy
a new house that suits your needs.

Greg O

"HouseDreamer" wrote in message
om...
A.Can we actually live in the house while a second floor is being
added?

Yes, no, maybe! It really depends on what the remodel entails.

B. For how long are the furniture and goods inside the house exposed
to the elements with the roof off, or incomplete seal to the outdoors
from rain, or opossums (they like roof running here), or tree insects
(we're under a tree canopy).

That also depends, often it may be just a couple of days or a week,
depending on the job involved.

C. I'm terribly allergic to the dust, fumes, molds, whatevers of
construction.

Move out!

D. I cannot have any cigarette smoking on the jobsite. Nor can we
allow the workers to run music boxes outside to amuse themselves.
Does anyone build this way?

Not very realistic. As long as the house is open to the elements, what is
the difference as far as smoking? As the house gets nearer completion then
smoking can be restricted to outdoors only. With all the noise from hammers,
powertools, what the hell is the problem with a radio or two! Construction
sites are very noisy, if you want quiet, move out.

E. Alternatively, we could limit the addition to an extension on the
back of the house and not overhead. Is it realistic to think that I
could live in the house for all but the last few weeks of construction
when they break through the back wall?

That my be a good idea!

Thanks for all your help.
HouseDreamer

I think you sig says it all! Housedreamer!!
Greg

Tim Fischer

"HouseDreamer" wrote in message
om...

Nor can we
allow the workers to run music boxes outside to amuse themselves.

Uh, why? Do you want them to wear winter parkas in the summer heat as well?
Are you intentionally trying to make things intolerable for them?

-Tim