Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Contact certified steel plate fabricators

The importance of steel in our modern lives is manifold. It is used to construct the buildings where we work, for our cars, our homes, and multiple other purposes. Natural gas pipelines, electricity lines towers, military weapons, or machine tools; all of them require steel. Steel plate fabrication where steel is bent, cut and assembled for making steel structures is thus a huge industry. A large number of certified companies are steel plate fabricators operating globally. These modern steel plate fabricators have capabilities of producing complex metal fabrications as well as customized steel plate fabrications.

Continue to read: http://instructorcard.blog.com/2013/...e-fabricators/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Contact certified SPAMMER

You should know better. But now we all know you are a lowlife SPAMMER

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Sullivan View Post
It is used to construct the buildings where we work, for our cars, our homes, and multiple other purposes. Natural gas pipelines, electricity lines towers, military weapons, or machine tools; all of them require steel.
(For those that don't know, "steel" is nothing more than iron with a little (up to about 1.2 percent) carbon in it. Once you get above about 2 percent carbon in iron, it's called "cast iron" instead of "steel". And, stainless steels are iron with lots and lots of chromium, nickel, vanadium and molybdunem in them. I really don't know if you need carbon in stainless steel to make it as hard as stainless steels typically are.)

Which is precisely the problem. Iron is a very atypical metal in that it forms an oxide film that doesn't bond tenaciously to the underlying metal and therefore doesn't protect the underlying iron from further rusting. MOST metals do something different, and there's plenty of examples to choose from. Copper, for example, form an oxide "rust" film that grows thicker at an ever slower rate because that oxide film is highly impermeable to the O2 molecules in the air (and dissolved in tap water). So, as the oxide film grows in thickness, it better and better protects the underlying metal from further oxidation. Silver does the same thing, but it's oxide film is more permeable to oxygen, and so the black oxide coating that forms on silver keeps growing, rather than slowing down. Many metals form oxide films that are highly impermeable to oxygen atoms, and in those cases the oxide film stops growing in thickness when it it still to thin to be visible, as in the case of chromium, nickel, aluminum, titanium and hafnium.

But, since iron and steel are so common in our daily life, most people presume that most metals behave much like iron or steel in that they "rust" just like iron and steel do. That's a problem, cuz the oxide film most metals form is completely different than the "rust" on the fender of my car.

Gold and platinum don't form an oxide film. Not even one a single oxygen atom thick.

Iron's oxide film cannot be regarded as "typical" it's formation doesn't slow down the further oxidation of the underlying iron hardly at all, so it forms an oxide film that's thick as a brick and it doesn't stick to the underlying parent metal. In all of those respects, iron is unique.

But, you see iron and steel everywhere you look in our society, so MOST people have the misconception in their heads that most metals are similar to iron and steel in that they "rust", and that rust gradually accumulates on the metal until it eventually falls off. In reality, most metals are like nickel, where the oxide film that forms is so impermeable as to stop the underlying metal from further oxidation when it is still too thin to even be visible.

So, I am not going to take part in any thread that talks about iron and steel as being "typical" examples of what metals are like. There are already enough misconceptions and misinformation floating around the DIY community, and NOT pointing out how different iron and steel are from other metals is an injustice to DIY'ers.

Last edited by nestork : July 9th 13 at 06:05 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Margaret Sullivan;3089807 Wrote:

So, I am not going to take part in any thread that talks about iron
and steel as being "typical" examples of what metals are like. There
are already enough misconceptions and misinformation floating around
the DIY community, and NOT pointing out how different iron and steel
are from "typical" metals is an injustice to DIY'ers.

So instead, you'll discuss it as responses to post having nothing to do with it?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
So instead, you'll discuss it as responses to post having nothing to do with it?
I agonized over that decision, Bob, but I felt I had no option except to do what I felt was right.