Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telephone Wiring Mystery

I bought a new, modular, twin-telephone-jack outlet box
cover, and bridged the two jacks to be in parallel.

I added wire-stubs to furnish twist-together jumpers for the
incoming wire (easier to add the stubs on the bench, than to
deal with the screw-connectors, crouched in a dark corner).

I wanted to check continuity, so I cut a modular cord in
half and bared the wires on one half so I could use an
ammeter to check.

What I found was that black & yellow are reversed, and red &
green are reversed. The colors are that way on the plate
that I bought (short wires with forked terminals in the
ends, under the screw-heads). Is this normal? Does it make
a difference? It seems to me that if it didn't make any
difference, there would be no point to having four wire
colors--two of one color, and two of another color would do
it.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 2:26*pm, croy wrote:
[...]

By forked terminals do you mean spade lugs? Ar you sure you didn't
make the reversal when you made the measurements. Looking at things
from the front, they are opposite than when looking at them from the
back.

That said, you can usually reverse R + G, and Bl + Yel. Without
knowing what you are connecting, it is impossible to say for 100%
surety. For example, some pots telephones will not work if their
polarity is reversed. You can answer, and can listen and talk, but
the touchpad to output touchtones will not work. Other phones have
internal bridges that solve that problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:12:26 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob)
" wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:26*pm, croy wrote:
[...]

I suppose. The kind where you only need to loosen the screw
to get the terminal free.

Ar you sure you didn't
make the reversal when you made the measurements. Looking at things
from the front, they are opposite than when looking at them from the
back.

Just going by color. My improvised patch cord has the same
colors as the colors that came in the cover plate.

That said, you can usually reverse R + G, and Bl + Yel. Without
knowing what you are connecting, it is impossible to say for 100%
surety.

Telephone and computer DSL line.

For example, some pots telephones will not work if their
polarity is reversed. You can answer, and can listen and talk, but
the touchpad to output touchtones will not work. Other phones have
internal bridges that solve that problem.

--
Thanks,
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

Not exactly sure how you have it wired.
Or where you are.
In the USA, red/green is what most people use.
The black/yellow is for a second phone line.

Are you sure your cable is wired with the proper colors?

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=r...pe=&as_rights=
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, power for lighted dial.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"mike" wrote in message

The black/yellow is for a second phone line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ry-729928-.htm
DA wrote:
croy wrote:

What I found was that black & yellow are reversed, and red &
green are reversed. The colors are that way on the plate
that I bought (short wires with forked terminals in the
ends, under the screw-heads). Is this normal? Does it make
a difference? It seems to me that if it didn't make any
difference, there would be no point to having four wire
colors--two of one color, and two of another color would do
it.

Telephone equipment transmits balanced signals - i.e. only the voltage difference between the two wires matters for its operation, not the actual polarity (which is very often flipped, just like in your case). In other words, it will work.

The yellow and black wires are for a second line. If you don't have a second phone line, just disregard the yellow/black pair.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:26:44 -0800, croy wrote:

[...]

That was probably designed to be used for a DUAL phone system. (Two
phone lines). R + G are always the first phone line, and Y + B are the
second line.

Since you wanted both jacks on the same line, you had to change the
wires. So what's the problem?

----
How come the plug on the end of the phone cord isn't called a JILL?
After all, it plugs into a JACK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:07:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Or, power for lighted dial.

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the
1960s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They havn't used tip and ring nomenclature, for that time, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:07:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Or, power for lighted dial.

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the
1960s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

Nope. It was just a modular extension cord that I could
afford to cut in half and bare the wires, allowing me to
check color to color with an ammeter.

I installed it, and it, and both DSL modem and the telephone
seem to be working fine.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There are 4 ways you can crimp on the RJ plugs and the people who make
up cords only care about 2 (reversing polarity or straight through)
The phone really doesn't care unless it is an old genuine Bell/Western
Electric phone with the mechanical ringer and touch tone.
They won't "tone" wired backward.

One of the phones *is* an old "Princess" model, with lighted
pushbuttons in the handset, and a real bell for a ringer. It
seems to be working fine.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

croy- Hide quoted text -

Then you must have lucked out and got the right connections. IF you
want to experiment, reverse the two wire going to the princess phone
and see if you can still touchtone. I'm not sure if it will still
work or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:07:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Or, power for lighted dial.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"mike" wrote in message

The black/yellow is for a second phone line.

Or any other "line powered" feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd be very surprised if what you bought is backwards. I've never
seen that Unless you bought the stuff at a dollar store. That's the
kind of thing they would sell. (Check out Jay Leno's shopping trips
with various mismarked things people send in from dollar stores.)

That said, I never worry about polarity until somthing doesn't work,
and it's been 15 or 20 years since something didn't work (that was a
trouch tone phone that wouldn't make tones unless it was connected
right, or the jack was wrong.)

I suppose if the polarity was reversed between two phones and you held
one to your left ear and one to the right, you'd losse a lot of bass.
As with stereo speakers. But that hasn't come up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:56:49 -0800, croy
wrote:

One of the phones *is* an old "Princess" model, with lighted
pushbuttons in the handset, and a real bell for a ringer. It
seems to be working fine.

--
croy

Don't forget that you can only have so many real phones on your phone
line. They have a Ringer Equivalency Number of 1, and the maximum
sum is 3 or 4. If you go over that number that phone or all the
phones won't ring. Modern, phoney phones have RENs like 0.2.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How many amps for phone, or DSL? AC or DC?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"croy" wrote in message

Are you sure your cable is wired with the proper colors?

Nope. It was just a modular extension cord that I could
afford to cut in half and bare the wires, allowing me to
check color to color with an ammeter.

I installed it, and it, and both DSL modem and the telephone
seem to be working fine.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

A tip o' the hat to you, and that's why they rang.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net wrote in message

Yup, when was the last time you saw a phone jack in a phone system?
(where tip and ring came from)

The last intercom I installed used "tip and ring" terminology, that was last
May

--
PV

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever."

- Aristophanes

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of the phones *is* an old "Princess" model, with lighted
pushbuttons in the handset, and a real bell for a ringer. It
seems to be working fine.

--
croy

Don't forget that you can only have so many real phones on your phone
line. They have a Ringer Equivalency Number of 1, and the maximum
sum is 3 or 4. If you go over that number that phone or all the
phones won't ring. Modern, phoney phones have RENs like 0.2.

In last house, in 70's I had at least 7 phones hooked up with 4 coil
ringers. Some phones had no ringers or disconnected.

Today, I have 2 coil ringers along with electronic phones. I don't know the
spec on my comcast interface. Back in the day, you were supposed to notify
phone company of added devices.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Or, power for lighted dial.

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the
1960s.

I know they had them in the 70's, probably 80's. I think I have a conair
wall phone in my kitchen, right now.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Or, power for lighted dial.

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the
1960s.

I know they had them in the 70's, probably 80's. I think I have a conair
wall phone in my kitchen, right now.

Greg

I just remembered I had a nice AT&T self lighted phone , that was really
nice while it worked. That was a latter model. Good money too.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 05:16:24 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

Or, power for lighted dial.

Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the
1960s.

I know they had them in the 70's, probably 80's. I think I have a conair
wall phone in my kitchen, right now.

Even my cell phone has a lighted dial. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote

In the USA, red/green is what most people use.
The black/yellow is for a second phone line.

Black and yellow have also been used for the dial light power on Princess
and Trimline phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, the guy cut a modular cord in half, and used ammeter to check the wires.
I wonder how many amps he had, in the cut cord?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:05:57 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

How many amps for phone, or DSL? AC or DC?

I think it is something like 20ma that causes the line to go off hook

The line is nominally 48VDC on hook and pulled down around 5-10 off
hook.

The max they say they will source is around a half amp but they don't
say what voltage that will end up being. I bet you can't really get
that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

To the op
Think about how the modular extension cord that you cut in half was made.
Are the two halves now EXACTLY the same or are they mirror images of each other.
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

If you are using old wiring. They moved away from quad station wire some
time ago.

Are you sure your cable is wired with the proper colors?

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=r...pe=&as_rights=

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The later versions of those were LED and line powered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2012 04:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Or, power for lighted dial.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"mike" wrote in message

The black/yellow is for a second phone line.

If you have a 6-wire cable (apparently the only thing the local Lowes
sells), the third pair is blue/white.

I've also seen 3-pair cable that had green, blue, and orange
(solid/stripe) pairs. Also 3-wire cable (red/green/yellow, no black).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." [Indian proverb]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2012 08:38 PM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:56:49 -0800, croy
wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget that you can only have so many real phones on your phone
line.They have a Ringer Equivalency Number of 1, and the maximum
sum is 3 or 4.

There was no other power source for the bell, and they needed to be loud
enough to be heard a long way off.

If you go over that number that phone or all the
phones won't ring. Modern, phoney phones have RENs like 0.2.

The REN on my cordless phone is listed as 0.0B . It COULDN'T be drawing
no current at all.

BTW, I now have phone from the cable company. I don't know it's REN
capacity, but it's working for me with 2 "real" phones as well as the
cordless and a 13-year-old DVR connected.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." [Indian proverb]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of the phones *is* an old "Princess" model, with lighted
pushbuttons in the handset, and a real bell for a ringer. It
seems to be working fine.

--
croy

Don't forget that you can only have so many real phones on your phone
line. They have a Ringer Equivalency Number of 1, and the maximum
sum is 3 or 4. If you go over that number that phone or all the
phones won't ring. Modern, phoney phones have RENs like 0.2.

In last house, in 70's I had at least 7 phones hooked up with 4 coil
ringers. Some phones had no ringers or disconnected.

Today, I have 2 coil ringers along with electronic phones. I don't know the
spec on my comcast interface. Back in the day, you were supposed to notify
phone company of added devices.

Greg

"back in the day" you were not allowed to install "customer owned"
telco equipment. That changed to you could, but you paid for every
extra device - you were supposed to let them know- and if you didn't
they could tell by the ringer equivalency, and charge you anyway. In
more recent years, customer owned telco equipment is the norm, and you
pay for the "service", not by the device.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2012 06:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Geeezzzzz, I dont think they've made lighted dial phones since the
1960s.

And back in the '60s, our Phone Company charged an extra $0.50 monthly
fee for a lighted dial.