Posted to alt.home.repair
croy croy is offline

Default Telephone Wiring Mystery

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:57:55 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:26:44 -0800, croy
wrote:

I bought a new, modular, twin-telephone-jack outlet box
cover, and bridged the two jacks to be in parallel.

I added wire-stubs to furnish twist-together jumpers for the
incoming wire (easier to add the stubs on the bench, than to
deal with the screw-connectors, crouched in a dark corner).

I wanted to check continuity, so I cut a modular cord in
half and bared the wires on one half so I could use an
ammeter to check.

What I found was that black & yellow are reversed, and red &
green are reversed. The colors are that way on the plate
that I bought (short wires with forked terminals in the
ends, under the screw-heads). Is this normal? Does it make
a difference? It seems to me that if it didn't make any
difference, there would be no point to having four wire
colors--two of one color, and two of another color would do
it.

There are 4 ways you can crimp on the RJ plugs and the people who make
up cords only care about 2 (reversing polarity or straight through)
The phone really doesn't care unless it is an old genuine Bell/Western
Electric phone with the mechanical ringer and touch tone.
They won't "tone" wired backward.

One of the phones *is* an old "Princess" model, with lighted
pushbuttons in the handset, and a real bell for a ringer. It
seems to be working fine.

--
croy