Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Telephone Wiring Mystery

On 12/30/2012 4:45 PM, mike wrote:
On 12/30/2012 1:34 PM, croy wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:12:26 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob)
wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:26 pm, wrote:
I bought a new, modular, twin-telephone-jack outlet box
cover, and bridged the two jacks to be in parallel.

I added wire-stubs to furnish twist-together jumpers for the
incoming wire (easier to add the stubs on the bench, than to
deal with the screw-connectors, crouched in a dark corner).

I wanted to check continuity, so I cut a modular cord in
half and bared the wires on one half so I could use an
ammeter to check.

What I found was that black& yellow are reversed, and red&
green are reversed. The colors are that way on the plate
that I bought (short wires with forked terminals in the
ends, under the screw-heads). Is this normal? Does it make
a difference? It seems to me that if it didn't make any
difference, there would be no point to having four wire
colors--two of one color, and two of another color would do
it.

--
croy

By forked terminals do you mean spade lugs?

I suppose. The kind where you only need to loosen the screw
to get the terminal free.

Ar you sure you didn't
make the reversal when you made the measurements. Looking at things
from the front, they are opposite than when looking at them from the
back.

Just going by color. My improvised patch cord has the same
colors as the colors that came in the cover plate.

That said, you can usually reverse R + G, and Bl + Yel. Without
knowing what you are connecting, it is impossible to say for 100%
surety.

Telephone and computer DSL line.

For example, some pots telephones will not work if their
polarity is reversed. You can answer, and can listen and talk, but
the touchpad to output touchtones will not work. Other phones have
internal bridges that solve that problem.

Not exactly sure how you have it wired.
Or where you are.
In the USA, red/green is what most people use.
The black/yellow is for a second phone line.

If you are using old wiring. They moved away from quad station wire some
time ago.

Are you sure your cable is wired with the proper colors?

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=r...pe=&as_rights=