York Affinity series furnace

Old May 27th 12, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default York Affinity series furnace

Hi,
I am considering 98% AFUE modulating furnace to replace over 18 year old
Carrier mid-efficiency furnace. Please, anyone has experience with this
York furnace? One more question, is OK mating it to Carrier a/c unit?
TIA
Old May 27th 12, 02:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2012 9:13 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
I am considering 98% AFUE modulating furnace to replace over 18 year old
Carrier mid-efficiency furnace. Please, anyone has experience with this
York furnace? One more question, is OK mating it to Carrier a/c unit?
TIA

I have an Affinity 93% furnace. It is a lot better than the 30 year old
one that it replaced. The biggest problem I have with it is that the
blower is noisy. It runs noisy and it is noisy starting up. Starting
up it makes a kind of a squawking noise, then just general blower noise.
I could wish that it was quieter, particularly since the closet is
right next to my bedroom.

Bill
Old May 27th 12, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 May 2012 08:34:31 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

TIA

I have an Affinity 93% furnace. It is a lot better than the 30 year old
one that it replaced. The biggest problem I have with it is that the
blower is noisy. It runs noisy and it is noisy starting up. Starting
up it makes a kind of a squawking noise, then just general blower noise.
I could wish that it was quieter, particularly since the closet is
right next to my bedroom.

Bill

Belt drive? I'd check the tension and maybe put on some belt dressing
to eliminate the startup noise. I'd also check to see if it can run
at a slower speed and still do a proper job for you.
Old May 27th 12, 05:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

TIA

I have an Affinity 93% furnace. *It is a lot better than the 30 year old
one that it replaced. *The biggest problem I have with it is that the
blower is noisy. *It runs noisy and it is noisy starting up. *Starting
up it makes a kind of a squawking noise, then just general blower noise.
I could wish that it was quieter, particularly since the closet is
right next to my bedroom.

Bill

Belt drive? *I'd check the tension and maybe put on some belt dressing
to eliminate the startup noise. *I'd also check to see if it can run
at a slower speed and still do a proper job for you.

Not likely a belt drive in a 93% AFUE furnace.

For Tony's question, don't have any experience with York.
But I wonder how much more the 98% modulating furnace
costs than one a step down, say 94%. I'd wonder about
the increasing complexity, more things to go wrong, cost,
etc vs a little improvement in efficiency. In particular I
don't see the need for an infinitely variable moduating
furnace. It would seem two stage gets you most of what
you're gonna get anyway. I guess if you're not paying
anything much for it and you're not worried that it may be
more complex than a simpler system to diagnose, fix,
etc. then maybe it's OK. I went through that analysis
couple years ago and went with 2 stage, 94%.
Old May 27th 12, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I am thinking the same way after looking around and talking to my BIL
(commercial HVAC engineer) Off the bat Carrier performance series 2
stage with ECM blower is a grand less to begin with. When we did the
manual J, my need is 98,000 btu so I am going for 100K btu with little
room to spare. Litle lesser cost, another 500.00 or so is Goodman.
Old May 27th 12, 07:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I settled on the 2 stage non condensing furnace when I replaced mine
back in August 2003. It has the "variable speed" DC blower and 2 speed
inductor fan.

The furnace guy I got it from went over the numbers with me, and the
difference between the condensing and non-condensing furnace, in my
house, given the amount of gas used over the previous years with the
30 year old original furnace, would take about 20 years to pay for in
fuel savings, and that is assuming no problems with the technology.
His SWAG was the new condensing furnace would be requiring repairs in
20 years costing more than the fuel savings, while the non condensing
furnace should still be running in 25 years.

Within 2 years the inductor fan was noisy. It was not the motor, but
the hub of the blower wheel was loose on the "web" of the squirrel
cage.Squealed like crazy, particularly when starting up on high. A
new unit was a few hundred dollars and not in stock, so I brazed the
joint between the hub and the web and it has been silent ever since.

The fuel savings between the old and new furnace were modest at best
- and the better efficiency of the DC blower meant a bit more heat was
required from the gas burner - so our gas bill did not change AT ALL -
but the electricity cost was reduced significantly (our blower runs on
low 24/7 - even without heat or A/C running)
Old May 28th 12, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2012 10:13 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
I am considering 98% AFUE modulating furnace to replace over 18 year old
Carrier mid-efficiency furnace. Please, anyone has experience with this
York furnace? One more question, is OK mating it to Carrier a/c unit?
TIA

For what it's worth to you I had a 96% Keeprite ECM single stage gas put
in during a winter breakdown this year. It's only 60 000 BTU as that is
my need. Savings on the blower electricty is 50% as measured by my
smarter during the overnight hours, about 4 cents an hour.

Works really well with a 14 year old Coleman/EVCON 10 seer 1.5 ton a/c.

The Goodman 97% modulating gas ECM was $800 CDN more installed

Received $790 from the government for installing it and replacing the
hunk of phucking junk Coleman furnace (80%)