How do you un-smart a GE microwave?

Old December 6th 11, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you un-smart a GE microwave?

On 12/6/2011 4:54 AM, FlaBill wrote:
My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit of turning on by itself.
Every once in a while the unit goes into a countdown for a few seconds and then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?

What this can be, is a fire hazard. Talk to GE.

Old December 7th 11, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

willshak improperly full-quoted:

The control board is called a SMART Board.

And apparently the control board is also called the CONTROL board.

I knew exactly what the header meant.

Apparently the OP didn't, because if he suspected the control board to
the problem then he gave no indication of such in his post (he did not
allude to the possibility that his use of "smart" in the subject line
should be taken to mean the control board).

And unless the control or the (gay-term) "smart" board is part of (or
integrated into) the keypad, then the control board is NOT the likely
cause of the problem.
Old December 7th 11, 03:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit of turning on by itself.
Every once in a while the unit goes into a countdown for a few seconds and then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?

it might be a contaminated keyboard...

if you leave the door open, will it stay off?

if it comes on even with the door open, that is VERY dangerous, I
would unplug it

Old December 7th 11, 04:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mark wrote:

My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit of
turning on by itself.
Every once in a while the unit goes into a countdown for a few seconds
and then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen
at any time. What can this be?

it might be a contaminated keyboard...

if you leave the door open, will it stay off?

if it comes on even with the door open, that is VERY dangerous, I
would unplug it

I would too. The thing is a loose cannon.

Erik
Old December 7th 11, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:24:47 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

FlaBill wrote:

My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit
of turning on by itself. Every once in a while the unit goes
into a countdown for a few seconds and then automatically turns
on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What
can this be?

First, let me say that the way you've chosen to describe the problem in
your subject line is really stupid.

Why would you characterize this behavior as "smart", such that solution
is to "un-smart" the device?

Why wouldn't you simply say "Need solution for GE microwave - turns on
by itself" ?

As for the solution, look he

http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/...-sn-xxxxx.html

They indicate that the keypad or keypad membrane is causing the
problem. If you're handy, it might be something you can fix yourself if
you can buy a replacement keypad.

Fix it?? That would be so 1950's Do the modern thing and hire a
lawyer to start a class action law suit!

I just got a check for $0.37 from a class action against ebay. WOW.
Don't even really know why.

It does, in my book, sound like something GE should offer a free fix
for. To have the keyboard fail in such a way the that it mimics the
correct key sequence to enter a time and start the oven is very weird.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Old December 7th 11, 02:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:54:12 -0800, FlaBill wrote:

My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit of
turning on by itself. Every once in a while the unit goes into a
countdown for a few seconds and then automatically turns on with no
action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?

Periodic thermal re-calibration, and nothing to worry about. Or at
least, that's what the marketing department might try to tell you. :-)

Old December 7th 11, 02:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

news

FlaBill wrote:

[...]

Wow you made out like a bandit. I got a check for $.03 and my wife got one
for $.04 from Ebay!!!

Old December 7th 11, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Randy333 improperly full-quoted:

If you're handy, it might be something you can fix yourself if
you can buy a replacement keypad.

Fix it?? That would be so 1950's Do the modern thing and hire a
lawyer to start a class action law suit!

Heh.

It does, in my book, sound like something GE should offer a free
fix for.

Regarding recalls, doing only a few minutes of looking I can find only
this:

- 12/5/2007
- G.E. recalls 92,000 microwave ovens
- the door switch can "overheat" ???
- Seems to also involve Kenmore brand units
- Sold in department stores and appliance stores from January 2000
through December 2003 for between $1,500 and $2,000.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/221104...crowave-ovens/

If there was another more recent recall pertaining to these units
turning on by themselves, I can't find it.

See also:

===========
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...icrowaves.html

11/14/11

I bough a GE microwave oven, model JVM1740SM1SS, less than 2 years ago.
The keypad says that it is shorted out and needs service. It turns on
randomly. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it will either say,
'service needed, keypad shorted out' or 'press clock.'

GE has so many complaints about there microwaves, some that are very
serious. They still claim that there are no problems with them. They
have to know there are problems, but do not want to issue a recall and
take a financial lose. It's only a matter of time, before something so
serious happens that it will be a bigger financial lose than a recall.

==========
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...agic_chef.html

10/13/11

I purchased my second Magic Chef over-the-range microwave in June of
2010 (model number MCO160UW, serial number DJ8500938 for the second
one). The first microwave had the same problem the second did. The unit
will start on its own, shut off when operating after less than 20
seconds, and most recently operate and function with the door open.

Magic Chef microwave oven, model MCO160UB. It turns on by itself at
random times during the day; the keypad is unresponsive, the unit beeps
to show 3.5g, then it beeps to show cooking for 1:40 minutes. The first
time it happened under warranty and I replaced the whole unit. Now this
second unit is doing the same thing, so I keep it turned off for safety.

Jimmy of Magnolia, TX

10/10/11

I replaced the control panel behind the keypad, part PKMPMSF200, but the
problem was not fixed. Not sure what else to fix. Calling customer
service has not solved the issue either.

Joseph of oak park, CA

============

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...ny-itself.html

05-16-2008

I have a GE Profile Convection Microwave Oven that turns on by itself.
When that happens, none of the controls work. I can only stop it by
pulling out the plug.

I just wanted to clarify what the problem is. The oven turns on by
itself. I thought that opening the oven would cause the oven to stop.
that didn't work. The only way that I could get the oven to shut off was
by pulling out the plug. It has happened twice so far in the last 3
months.

-----------

05-20-2008

I am having the same problem with an LG over the range microwave. The
vent will just turn on by itself when its not being used. The only way
to turn it off is to unplug it. None of the controls wotk and opening
and shutting the door doesnt help. We are not cooking when this happens
and have even woken up in the morning to find it running.

---------

05-21-2008

I have read numerous account of GE built-in microwaves that "turned on
by themselves" and eventually caught fire. 7 of them in the state of FL
resulted in extensive fire damage to a home. At least one of these
microwave ovens was recalled by GE. look up consumer reports GE
microwaves to find out more, or contact GE directly to find out if your
model is one of the models that has been recalled. If it's not, contact
them anyway to tell them about it (although, from the reports I read,
they know full-well about these problems and pretend that they don't).
Many of the reports said the problem was a faulty "magnetron"... it was
leaking and causing sparking, which led to fire. Try citing that as the
problem and see if they'll fix it for you.

----------

10-08-2009

I also have a ge profile space saver that started turning on by itself
and within a couple of weeks never shut off. Actually only the fans
would stay on. The microwave itself wasn't running. The vent door will
not open unless the microwave is running. The microwave vents to the
front into the house. The profile vpm1870sm1ss isn't on the recall list.

---------

11-27-2010

This has happened with our GE Turntable Microwave Oven as well. We have
had it for over a year. Just 2 days ago, it would beep, and show the
number "3.5" in the LED display, then turn on spontaneously and run for
2 minutes, displaying the 2 minute time in the LED. Opening the door
would stop it, but the keypad had become inoperative. We replaced it
with a new, identical unit, but it did exactly the same thing! Using a
surge protector did not help. I could find no mention of a recall of our
unit on the GE site, but I did leave a message with them stating the
urgency of the situation, and that I felt it was a potential fire hazard

=============
Old December 7th 11, 02:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Here's the main web page for all GE recalls:

http://www.geappliances.com/products/recall/

There seems to be no recalls for microwave-only or table-top /
counter-top units.

Only for combination microwave-oven units. Two such recalls for various
in-wall-mounted units sold between 2000 to 2003.
Old December 7th 11, 02:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

interference from nearby RF sources can cause that. years ago a copier
in a office i served would start making copies on its own. drove me
nuts till the copier owner reported other stuff turning itself on.

turned out a new building tenant who repaired 2 way business radios
was the cause. they upgraded shelding and the problem went away

I would leave the offending microwaves door open unless in use and
call GE for advice.

A microwave with door open should NEVER turn itself on