Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How do you un-smart a GE microwave?

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 01:54:12 -0800 (PST), FlaBill
wrote:

My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit of turning on by itself.
Every once in a while the unit goes into a countdown for a few seconds and then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?
Bill

"Stop me before I cook again!"

How long does it say it's going to cook? How long does it cook?

For lack of a better idea, I'd either a) put a bowl of water in it
whenever I wasn't using it, or b) put a toggle switch in between the
receptacle and the oven's plug. They make them the size of a cube
about 1.5 inches in each direction. They make them for both 2- and
3-prong plugs. The only thing that microwaves are supposed to
remember is the current time, so it would not know that anymore.