Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove shear blocks in a Single Hung Vinyl Window

I find the shear blocks supporting the upper sash on both sides of the
window frame. They are just blocks with no screws. I don't know how to
release these shear blocks so that I can take down the upper sash for
repairing.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 10:48*pm, wrote:
I find the shear blocks supporting the upper sash on both sides of the
window frame. They are just blocks with no screws. I don't know how to
release these shear blocks so that I can take down the upper sash for
repairing.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Just a thought...

On my Double Hung VRW, there are blocks in the top of the track that
prevent the lower sash from opening too far and hitting the "grab bar"
of the upper sash.

These blocks just pop into the track and can be removed by prying them
out with a large screwdriver slipped in from underneath.

I know this because I took mine out of every window and cut them
shorter. I could find no reason for needing 1 1/2" of space below the
upper sash's grab bar. 1/2" is more than enough. An extra inch of open
window may not amount to much on an individual basis, but with all the
windows open, that's over 3 square feet of extra breeze. Considering
the amount of "open" you lose when you install VRW's, I wanted to get
back as much as possible.