Turning lights on trips circuit breaker

Old April 23rd 11, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turning lights on trips circuit breaker

The other night I went to turn on the lights at the light switch by my
front door and it made some noise and the lights wouldn't come on.
Some of the electrical outlets in the neigboring room wouldn't work
either. It tripped the circuit breaker so I reset it. I tried again to
turn the lights on at the switch and it tripped the circuit breaker
again. When it does this, the light switch makes a weird noise.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I know the wiring in the
house is piggybacked, if that makes a difference. And should there be
any problems using the electrical outlets that are somehow connected
to the light switch, as long as I leave the lights off? My TV is
plugged into one of those outlets, so I want to make sure it doesn't
get damaged somehow.

Thanks,
Jo
Old April 23rd 11, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jo" wrote in message
The other night I went to turn on the lights at the light switch by my
front door and it made some noise and the lights wouldn't come on.
Some of the electrical outlets in the neigboring room wouldn't work
either. It tripped the circuit breaker so I reset it. I tried again to
turn the lights on at the switch and it tripped the circuit breaker
again. When it does this, the light switch makes a weird noise.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I know the wiring in the
house is piggybacked, if that makes a difference. And should there be
any problems using the electrical outlets that are somehow connected
to the light switch, as long as I leave the lights off? My TV is
plugged into one of those outlets, so I want to make sure it doesn't
get damaged somehow.

Thanks,
Jo

** There is a short circuit on the load side of that switch. Whatever light,
that switch controls, or the wiring leading to it, has a problem. If you
want to use other things on that circuit, just tape the switch "off", and
there won't be any problem using other things on that circuit. Have the
short checked by someone who is experienced in these matters

Old April 23rd 11, 10:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 5:16*pm, Jo wrote:
The other night I went to turn on the lights at the light switch by my
front door and it made some noise and the lights wouldn't come on.
Some of the electrical outlets in the neigboring room wouldn't work
either. It tripped the circuit breaker so I reset it. I tried again to
turn the lights on at the switch and it tripped the circuit breaker
again. When it does this, the light switch makes a weird noise.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I know the wiring in the
house is piggybacked, if that makes a difference. And should there be
any problems using the electrical outlets that are somehow connected
to the light switch, as long as I leave the lights off? My TV is
plugged into one of those outlets, so I want to make sure it doesn't
get damaged somehow.

Thanks,
Jo

First UNPLUG everything thats dead with the breaker trpped, and see if
the light then comes on.

If the light then works normally plug one item in at a time till the
breaker trips again, that item is the one with a problem, its highly
possible its the TV

Old April 23rd 11, 10:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 4:38*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Jo" wrote in message

[...]

So when you say in the "off" postion do you mean so that the lights
aren't on or do you mean there is actually an off position? There are
actually three switches there for three different lights. Then there
is another switch in the hallway for one of those lights. Then there's
a switch at the top of the stairs for two of those lights. So
depending on how you flip the switches, there is no actual "off"
position. So I assume you mean "off" as in the lights aren't on.

How complicated is this problem? Would it be as simple as removing the
plate and checking and fixing what's behind it?

Thanks,
Jo
Old April 23rd 11, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 5:57*pm, Jo wrote:
On Apr 23, 4:38*pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Jo" wrote in message

[...]

Jo- Hide quoted text -

FiRST, unplug everything, reset breaker and see if it trips again!

Most shorts are lugged in things so elminate them first!
Old April 23rd 11, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 5:57*pm, Jo wrote:
On Apr 23, 4:38*pm, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

plugged in things, typo sorry
Old April 23rd 11, 11:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jo" wrote in message
On Apr 23, 4:38 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Jo" wrote in message

[...]

Whichever switch you touched, that made the breaker trip, leave in the "pre
short" position. If there is a corresponding switch, to that one, that
operates the same light(s), don't touch that one either. Put tape on them,
so noone else touches them as well. The other switches and outlets on that
circuit should be fine. No, it's not necessarily going to be a problem at or
behind the switch plate. More than likely, it's a problem with one of the
lights that the switch operates, especially if it's an outdoor light

Old April 23rd 11, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Apr 23, 5:16 pm, Jo wrote:
[...]

First of all Haller, she just said, the breaker tripped when she turned on a
light switch. Unless her light switch operates a table lamp, the problem
isn't going to be with anything "plugged in".
Second, if you did have a short in something plugged in, and followed your
advice, by unplugging everything, resetting the breaker, then plugging
things back in, you'd get a face full of hot sparks when you tried to plug
in the shorted device. No wonder everyone who you've helped with electrical
problems, has had fires in their houses, you're a menace

Old April 24th 11, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 6:26*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

On Apr 23, 5:16 pm, Jo wrote:

[...]

problems, has had fires in their houses, you're a menace- Hide quoted text -

She earlier mentioned her TV is plugged into that circuit, so its not
just lights, she was concerened the breaker tripping might damage her
tv... and the most common shorts are small appliances.

I seriously doubt anyone would get a faceful of sparks, plugs are
designed to prevent that.....

she could plug each item into a terminal strip and use the strips
switch to power on test each plugged in appliance.

please document anyone who has had a home fire from my advice!!!

and to the OP no its not just a matter of removing a cover