Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Room above driveway is warmer

I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that explains it. But I
don't think there's anything I can do.

Probably because this room is warmer, the previous owner noticed it
and they didn't want to use this room either. The carpet is much
thicker and less used than the rest of the upstairs. If it's because
the underside is outdoors this room is warmer, what about those many
rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you do to remedy
it? Thanks.

BTW, I remember in winter, this room is a little colder but I'll
double check that in a few months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 8:54*am, Yong Huang wrote:
I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that explains it. But I
don't think there's anything I can do.

Probably because this room is warmer, the previous owner noticed it
and they didn't want to use this room either. The carpet is much
thicker and less used than the rest of the upstairs. If it's because
the underside is outdoors this room is warmer, what about those many
rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you do to remedy
it? Thanks.

BTW, I remember in winter, this room is a little colder but I'll
double check that in a few months.

Increase the hvac service to the room by adding another run and duct
or by increasing the size of the existing runs, ie change the 6" flex
to 8". Improve the insulation in the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 8:00 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

Increase the hvac service to the room by adding another run and duct
or by increasing the size of the existing runs, ie change the 6" flex
to 8". Improve the insulation in the ceiling.

Thanks. More than half the time at night, the AC is not running. I
hope the room is not too warm during that time. I'll try to put more
insulation in the ceiling above this room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 9:13*am, Yong Huang wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:00 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

Increase the hvac service to the room by adding another run and duct
or by increasing the size of the existing runs, ie change the 6" flex
to 8". *Improve the insulation in the ceiling.

Thanks. More than half the time at night, the AC is not running. I
hope the room is not too warm during that time. I'll try to put more
insulation in the ceiling above this room.

Depending on distances involved you could also look at adding a return
to that room. Is the room far from the current air handler? Where is
the current air return? (Usually where the filter is.) If you leave
the door closed on that room a lot then check the gap under the door.
Is there enough room for air to get back to the return? Might want to
saw a little off the bottom of the door.

I have a room over the garage that has the same problem. I improved
it some by replacing the 6" duct with 8" duct. The room already had a
12x20 return in the ceiling. There are still periods when the demand
on the hvac is low and that room is a bit hotter or colder than the
rest of the house. A variable speed system would help more but that's
a pricey solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang wrote:
I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that explains it. But I
don't think there's anything I can do.

Probably because this room is warmer, the previous owner noticed it
and they didn't want to use this room either. The carpet is much
thicker and less used than the rest of the upstairs. If it's because
the underside is outdoors this room is warmer, what about those many
rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you do to remedy
it? Thanks.

BTW, I remember in winter, this room is a little colder but I'll
double check that in a few months.

Check if there is insulation in the floor below that room. If not, fully
insulate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
[...]

If you can't insulate the existing floor, you may have to build a false
"ceiling" on the carport and stuff this "attic" full of insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

From your description, it sounds like this fourth room is sort of
suspended over the driveway. Is that right? If so, that would account
for the temperature differences. In the winter, the other rooms have
warm rooms underneath them while this one lets a lot of heat escape
through the floor into the open air. Conversely in the summer; heat
creeps in from outside through the floor while the other rooms have
cooled rooms beneath them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 8:54*am, Yong Huang wrote:
I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms.

My God, are people really this dumb?

Sun heats the driveway. Driveway radiates heat into floor of upstairs
room. Floor in upstairs room is poorly insulated, if insulated at all.
Floor of upstairs room is warmer.

You need more insulation in the floor of this room, or just live with
it. One or two degrees is hardly what I would consider "warmer." Cheap
thermometers have wider variances than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 9:13*am, Yong Huang wrote:
Thanks. More than half the time at night, the AC is not running. I
hope the room is not too warm during that time. I'll try to put more
insulation in the ceiling above this room.

That will make it WORSE by trapping the heat that is rising up from
the driveway below!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 11:46*am, wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:13*am, Yong Huang wrote:

Thanks. More than half the time at night, the AC is not running. I
hope the room is not too warm during that time. I'll try to put more
insulation in the ceiling above this room.

That will make it WORSE by trapping the heat that is rising up from
the driveway below!

No, it won't. The room is already conditioned space. It is not
conducting heat from below the floor, thru the room, and out the
ceiling.

Improving the insulation below the floor would be more effective but
I'm assuming that space is unaccessible from above or below without
major demolition. In most cases the space above is easily accessed.
Improving the insulation up there, while not as effective, would still
reduce the overall heat transfer between the room and the surrounding
unconditioned spaces. Anything that does that will reduce the load on
the hvac service to the room.

Is it possible you don't know what you are talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 7:54*am, Yong Huang wrote:
I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that explains it. But I
don't think there's anything I can do.

Probably because this room is warmer, the previous owner noticed it
and they didn't want to use this room either. The carpet is much
thicker and less used than the rest of the upstairs. If it's because
the underside is outdoors this room is warmer, what about those many
rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you do to remedy
it? Thanks.

BTW, I remember in winter, this room is a little colder but I'll
double check that in a few months.

The reason is its fully exposed, insulation could be better, the AC
isnt sized large enough and not enough air circulation. On just
insulating the ceiling, My place had little attic insulation, maybe
R12, I went to R 60 and the second floor was hotter overall as no
night time cooling took effect, it was noticable, but in winter it was
much warmer. You should consider everything, what your windows are,
floor, wall and ceiling insulation, carpet with foam padding does
alot, cellular shades that seal on edges can equal and inch of
fiberglass insulation, and a bigger supply for the AC to that room.
Running the fan continously on your system will do alot to balance out
hot spots, try it while its really hot out. Just running the blower
wont add alot to your bill in these hottest days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
[...]

Why would you not be able to insulate it? Worst case, blowing in insulation
wshould do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Aug 4, 11:46 am, wrote:
[...]

===

heh By the same logic he could drill holes to let the heat out g

I was going to suggest a register assist fan or larger duct. Insulation
never hurts. Another thing would be to check the condition of the duct work.
I have those insulated tubes, and in one of my main tubes, the insulation
collapsed inside the tube blocking the air. Easy to check, the tube will
collapes when the ac isn't running or feel mushy when squeezed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 12:31*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

wont add alot to your bill in these hottest days.- Hide quoted text -

Yes. While the heat that travels through from the floor is one
factor, it could also be that this room has the longest duct run,
insufficient supply ducts or returns, closed damper in the ducts,
collapsed or disconnected ducts along the way, insufficient attic
insulation, etc. All that should be checked. But unfortunately only
a few of those things can be easily fixed.

A mini-split for that room may be a solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

The cable TV program "Holmes on Homes" dealt with an identical
situation to this. The solution was to remove the carport ceiling and
put in the missing insulation as well as some HVAC mods IIRC.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
[...]

Because the construction MAY be (going down):
* Carpet
* Sub-floor (i.e., 3/4" plywood)
* 2x8 joists
* Air
* Driveway
* Dirt
* China

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:54:14 -0700 (PDT), Yong Huang
wrote:

I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that explains it. But I
don't think there's anything I can do.

...." 1 and 2 degrees higher..."

And you are worried about that?! What you describe is what I would
call a "carport". Open on two sides with an entrance door to the home.

Does the driveway face east or west?! What kind of siding? Window
treatments inside / outside (solar screen, awning, etc.)? Is there a
ceiling fan in the room?

Have the floor joist filled with blown insulation. No different than
filling wall cavities, IME.

..."what about those many
rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you do to remedy
it? Thanks."

Insulate the garage door, especially if facing east of west: with
temps from 90° - 117° (morning/afternoon respectively).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:55:00 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Why would you not be able to insulate it? Worst case, blowing in
insulation wshould do it.

Because the construction MAY be (going down):

* Carpet

Peel it back from the further most distance from the door.

* Sub-floor (i.e., 3/4" plywood)

Drill hole for blown -in insulation. Small hole will show if OP has
insulation.

* 2x8 joists

Fill them from the outside... or above.

* Air

That's where the insulation is supposed to go.

* Driveway
* Dirt
* China

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living room,
etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's noticeably
warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used a thermometer
to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2 degrees higher
than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that explains it. But I
don't think there's anything I can do.

Probably because this room is warmer, the previous owner noticed it
and they didn't want to use this room either. The carpet is much
thicker and less used than the rest of the upstairs. If it's because
the underside is outdoors this room is warmer, what about those many
rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you do to remedy
it? Thanks.

BTW, I remember in winter, this room is a little colder but I'll
double check that in a few months.

Put in more insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 06:13:54 -0700 (PDT), Yong Huang
wrote:

On Aug 4, 8:00 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

Increase the hvac service to the room by adding another run and duct
or by increasing the size of the existing runs, ie change the 6" flex
to 8". Improve the insulation in the ceiling.

Thanks. More than half the time at night, the AC is not running. I
hope the room is not too warm during that time. I'll try to put more
insulation in the ceiling above this room.

You REALLY need to insulate the floor of this room to keep the
radiated heat from the driveway out. I'd put a reflective barrier over
the insulation (actually under - on the driveway side) to help cut
down the absorption as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:54:25 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Aug 4, 11:46Â*am, wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:13Â*am, Yong Huang wrote:

[...]

It is almost ALWAYS possible to insulate a carport ceiling, one way
or another - and it WILL be more effective than insulating the ceiling
(which could very well already have been done) The difference in
temperature is due to the heat radiating from the driveway - so the
only way to attack the problem is to reduce the amount of that heat
getting into the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
[...]

Boy, that construction is the EASIEST to insulate. Stuff the space
between the joists with insulation, and tack on a layer of plywood or
sheathing material of your choice. When you have a finished ceiling,
or essentially a huge soffit, it is a little more involved - but still
not anything close to impossible.

coffee cup (mug) warmer Frank Thompson Home Repair 8 May 10th 08 12:54 PM
one room warmer stevie Home Repair 2 August 27th 05 08:53 PM
food warmer Andy Leavens Woodworking 2 January 7th 05 03:29 PM
New home and one room is much warmer than the other rooms. What to do? v Home Ownership 1 September 7th 03 07:16 PM