Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Room above driveway is warmer

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:55:00 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
I have 4 rooms all upstairs. Below 3 are all indoors like living
room, etc. They're cool. One is above outdoor driveway. It's
noticeably warmer. I can't think of any explanation. One day I used
a thermometer to measure floor temperature. It was between 1 and 2
degrees higher than the floors of the other 3 rooms. I think that
explains it. But I don't think there's anything I can do.

Probably because this room is warmer, the previous owner noticed it
and they didn't want to use this room either. The carpet is much
thicker and less used than the rest of the upstairs. If it's
because the underside is outdoors this room is warmer, what about
those many rooms above a garage? Are they warmer too? What do you
do to remedy it? Thanks.

BTW, I remember in winter, this room is a little colder but I'll
double check that in a few months.

Check if there is insulation in the floor below that room. If not,
fully insulate it.

If you can't insulate the existing floor, you may have to build a
false "ceiling" on the carport and stuff this "attic" full of
insulation.

Why would you not be able to insulate it? Worst case, blowing in
insulation wshould do it.

Because the construction MAY be (going down):
* Carpet
* Sub-floor (i.e., 3/4" plywood)
* 2x8 joists
* Air
* Driveway
* Dirt
* China

Boy, that construction is the EASIEST to insulate. Stuff the space
between the joists with insulation, and tack on a layer of plywood or
sheathing material of your choice. When you have a finished ceiling,
or essentially a huge soffit, it is a little more involved - but still
not anything close to impossible.