Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Room above driveway is warmer

On Aug 4, 9:13*am, Yong Huang wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:00 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

Increase the hvac service to the room by adding another run and duct
or by increasing the size of the existing runs, ie change the 6" flex
to 8". *Improve the insulation in the ceiling.

Thanks. More than half the time at night, the AC is not running. I
hope the room is not too warm during that time. I'll try to put more
insulation in the ceiling above this room.

Depending on distances involved you could also look at adding a return
to that room. Is the room far from the current air handler? Where is
the current air return? (Usually where the filter is.) If you leave
the door closed on that room a lot then check the gap under the door.
Is there enough room for air to get back to the return? Might want to
saw a little off the bottom of the door.

I have a room over the garage that has the same problem. I improved
it some by replacing the 6" duct with 8" duct. The room already had a
12x20 return in the ceiling. There are still periods when the demand
on the hvac is low and that room is a bit hotter or colder than the
rest of the house. A variable speed system would help more but that's
a pricey solution.