Transition from 2 1/4 wood flooring to 3 inch

Old April 6th 10, 01:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Transition from 2 1/4 wood flooring to 3 inch

stryped wrote the following:
On Apr 5, 2:11 pm, "chaniarts"
wrote:

stryped wrote:

I have 3 inch floorin gin a dinning orom and carpet in the adjoining
living room. I got a good deal on some 2 1/4 inch flooring that nearly
matches the three inch. Is there a good was to transition from one
size to another to make the size difference less apparant? The rooms
are separated by a wide "doorway" without the door.

that's what they make thresholds for. i'd use a nice marble or granite one
that was the same height as the wood flooring.

I guess what I am really aying is, is there a way to minimize the
visual aspect of the size difference? Bothe sets of wood are 3/4 inch
tall. One is 2 1/4 inch wide and the other is 3.

Tell people not to look down at the floor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old April 6th 10, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:14:26 -0700 (PDT), stryped wrote:

On Apr 5, 2:11 pm, "chaniarts"
wrote:
stryped wrote:
I have 3 inch floorin gin a dinning orom and carpet in the adjoining
living room. I got a good deal on some 2 1/4 inch flooring that nearly
matches the three inch. Is there a good was to transition from one
size to another to make the size difference less apparant? The rooms
are separated by a wide "doorway" without the door.
that's what they make thresholds for. i'd use a nice marble or granite one
that was the same height as the wood flooring.

I guess what I am really aying is, is there a way to minimize the
visual aspect of the size difference? Bothe sets of wood are 3/4 inch
tall. One is 2 1/4 inch wide and the other is 3.

If you make the saddle the width of the door frame it won't look all that bad.
The two floors will be separated by enough that the eye won't follow the lines
from one floor to the other. You might try a piece 4-1/2" wide of 5/4 wood of
the same species as the floor as your saddle. A contrasting stain might be
nice too. That way you don't have to match anything perfectly.

The other alternative is to run the boards on the new floor orthogonally to
the old floor. What you're really trying to do is make it so the joints don't
line up - almost.

Got a router, or know someone who does? A buddy of my brothers, three
cities ago, had a similar situation. He found a wide plank of the same
wood for the threshold, routed a design in it, and filled the grooves
with wood of different colors. Pinned it all together with epoxy so it
wouldn't fall out, and urethaned the hell out of the top. Nobody notices
that the floors on either side don't exactly match.

--
aem sends...
Old April 6th 10, 05:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 4:13*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:52*pm, stryped wrote:

I have 3 inch floorin gin a dinning orom and carpet in the adjoining
living room. I got a good deal on some 2 1/4 inch flooring that nearly
matches the three inch. Is there a good was to transition from one
size to another to make the size difference less apparant? The rooms
are separated by a wide "doorway" without the door.

You might think creatively about how to work the transition, just
using wood flooring. *Put in a few perpendicular strips in the
transition area, maybe in a different wood, or some parquet, or
something like that to break it up visually. *But keep it all at the
same level. Don't use a threshold that sticks up if you can avoid it.
Also, stick with wood - I think if you used granite or slate or
something the difference in material might make a slip/fall hazard
even if it was all level. -- H

If the wood in the doorway width is installed either at right angles,
or maybe in some sort of diagonal or diamond pattern, the difference
in the two rooms will be hard to notice because the human eye will be
more attracted to the interesting design within the doorway width.
Old April 6th 10, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 1:52*pm, stryped wrote:

[...]

The problem with diagonals is that if you're not careful you'll tend to see
the difference in lines on either side. If the diagonals line up or even come
close to lining up on one side and not the other it'll look just as bad as the
two floors meeting. The design and spacing has to be carefully chosen.
Old April 6th 10, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 3:14*pm, stryped wrote:
I guess what I am really aying is, is there a way to minimize the
visual aspect of the size difference? Bothe sets of wood are 3/4 inch
tall. One is 2 1/4 inch wide and the other is 3.

He told you how to do it.

Put a threshold between the two to break up the pattern and you won't
notice the difference.

If you try to "hide" it somehow people will fall on their face from
vertigo as they walk from one room to the other.
Old April 6th 10, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 1:52*pm, stryped wrote:
I have 3 inch floorin gin a dinning orom and carpet in the adjoining
living room. I got a good deal on some 2 1/4 inch flooring that nearly
matches the three inch. Is there a good was to transition from one
size to another to make the size difference less apparant? The rooms
are separated by a wide "doorway" without the door.

If you search for "wood floor transition" on Google images you will
get some examples - like this one:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d2...2/a7542c97.jpg

You have to sift through - lots of them are transitions from wood to
tile and so forth. -- H