moving garage door to different wall

Old February 9th 10, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default moving garage door to different wall

Hi all:

Our driveway is in need of complete replacement and as part of our
discussions we are considering moving the driveway entirely to
possible free up room for a later addition to the house. This would
involve keeping the same garage, but having the cars enter the garage
from what is now one of the "sides" of the garage. So basically it
would mean moving the garage door to an adjacent (perpendicular) wall
from where it is now, and then pouring a new driveway to a new
opening. I assume this can be accomplished by framing a brand new
opening on the side of the garage and just closing the existing hole
up. Are there any major issues I am not aware of with this? The only
thing I can possibly see is that the garage floor, which is now sloped
towards the existing opening for drainage, wouldn't be sloped
correctly for drainage anymore. Is this a code issue? Because if not
I don't think this is something that would cause me great concern (the
house itself is up a foot from the base of the garage, so it'd be
protected from any major water issues.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old February 10th 10, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 6:25*pm, Actor123 wrote:
[...]

The wall that you are going to move it to is going to be a load
bearing wall. Any time you put a hole that big in a load bearing wall
there is going to be issues. At one time I wanted to do that to my
present home until I found out how major a job that would be. I also
found that my garage formed a big box that pretty much kept my house
from collapsing and that any messing about with it could be dangerous.
Vaulted greatroom and master bedroom get lateral support from the
garage on one side and two unvaulted bedrooms on the other side. Per
this example you can see that your problem may be much more complex
than you realize.

Jimmie
Old February 10th 10, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Actor123 wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Anything is posible if cost is not an isue. First think load bearing
wall. Do you have to deal with it?
Old February 10th 10, 02:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:39*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Actor123 wrote:
[...]

wall. Do you have to deal with it?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, it is going to take a pretty big header if there is anything
above the wall where the new opening is going to be.
Old February 10th 10, 09:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:25:19 -0800 (PST), Actor123 wrote:

[...]

Are the roof trusses/joists sitting on that side wall? I'd guess that a hefty
I-beam spanning the proposed opening would take care of that.
Best to consult a professional.
Old February 10th 10, 12:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

No, the slope is not code. You can move the door to any exterior
wall. It's not that big a deal but you may have to frame a temporary
wall a foot or so inside the new location to hold up the roof while
you get the header in. I'd use a floor jack to preload it a bit.
Old February 10th 10, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with the last poster here... Just frame in your old garage door
before taking out your load bearing wall and use something to support it
while you put in a header... I have a garage which this exact thing was
done. The door used to open to an alley way away from the house....Freaking
garage got broke into more times than anything....then moved the garage door
perpedicular to where it was before and solved the problem of break ins...
Only real issue when I cut the new door was rerouting electricial
lines....Jim

Old February 10th 10, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 3:25*pm, Actor123 wrote:
[...]

Doesn't sound like a problem if done correctly. Unless you are
experienced in construction and know how to figure header sizes, don't
try it without professional advice. At a minimum get a couple bids
from contractors even if you don't plan to use one - they will
probably give good advice.

It will probably require a building permit.

Harry K