Posted to alt.home.repair

Default moving garage door to different wall

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 16:58:07 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 6:44:06 PM UTC-5, carl wrote:
replying to JIMMIE, carl wrote:
Hi Jimmie, I am in the same situation here. My garage has a 3 beam LVL forming
a box for my house. I created the new opening with the help from an engineer
but I had to break the 5 jacks supporting that beam to rest on 2- 24 inch LVLs
to carry the load about 2 and a half feet down the foundation from its
original point. Also had to add a footing. After doing that, Im having serious
regrets about it, given that much load/critical point load of the house is
there. I wanted to know why you said it could be dangerous? Is it just the
uneasy feeling of that point load? or that re-framing it would be dangerous.
Its currently awaiting for the new door to be installed but Im seriously
considering putting it back for peace of mind, which sounds crazy..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-424273-.htm

No one can answer what is safe or what is dangerous without knowing exactly
what you did and how it was done. Jimmie made that post 9 years ago.
The thing you should be concerned about
is was that a licensed structural engineer? Or a computer engineer?
Did you take out a building permit which would be required in most areas
and have the required inspections? If the changes were approved by a
licensed architect or engineer, then there is no more reason to worry
about that than any other part of your house. If not, then, yes, unless
you know for sure that whoever you relied on knows what they are doing,
then I would be concerned.

The short answer is where is the load bearing wall?
They are usually only on 2 ends of a truss house.
(Yeah I know the gable end usually only carries the wall above but not
much real load.)