Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Infill wall for garage door opening

I wish to build a non-bearing exterior wall to fill-in an existing garage
door opening. Here is a pictu
http://i19.tinypic.com/3z0rpeo.jpg

I'll need to form and pour a 6" concrete curb for the sill plate of the
wall. My question is this: can the curb be poured on top of the existing
concrete pad using a concrete bonding agent, or should I cut out the pad and
then do the form and pour?

Thanks to all for your responses.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 5:19 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
I wish to build a non-bearing exterior wall to fill-in an existing garage
door opening. Here is a pictuhttp://i19.tinypic.com/3z0rpeo.jpg

I'll need to form and pour a 6" concrete curb for the sill plate of the
wall. My question is this: can the curb be poured on top of the existing
concrete pad using a concrete bonding agent, or should I cut out the pad and
then do the form and pour?

Thanks to all for your responses.

--
Davewww.davebbq.com

Its none bearing, so no need to cut out anything. You "might" want to
drill into the slab & place a few dowels.

Actually if you place some really long threaded ones, you could let
them stick up through your pour & they'd be your wall anchors.

make sure you have an adequate connection up top, hate to have that
wall fall over on someone.

also cut away that door jam / framing do you don't create a rot /
termite issue

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
I wish to build a non-bearing exterior wall to fill-in an existing garage
door opening. Here is a pictu
http://i19.tinypic.com/3z0rpeo.jpg

I'll need to form and pour a 6" concrete curb for the sill plate of the
wall. My question is this: can the curb be poured on top of the existing
concrete pad using a concrete bonding agent, or should I cut out the pad
and then do the form and pour?

Thanks to all for your responses.

If the garage was built correctly, there is already a footer and foundation
under the door edge of the slab. Many builders cheap out and skip that part,
and apparently many local codes don't require it. Talk to local inspector,
if such minor projects require a permit in your area. Short of boring an
angled hole on one side of door or other, and poking some rebar down there
to probe, I don't know any good way to verify what they did.

But having said all that- if there is no inspection involved- I'd thump the
area real well by bouncing a section of steel pipe or a long prybar on it,
and compare the sound to the middle of the slab. If the slab isn't supported
at the edge, it should ring hollow. If it is supported, I'd just lay up the
new curb section out of block, unless you are mixing concrete for some other
reason anyway. Unless you plan on bumping into the wall a lot, a couple
pieces of rebar epoxied or mudded into holes drilled into the slab should be
plenty of anchoring.

aem sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

Its none bearing, so no need to cut out anything. You "might" want to
drill into the slab & place a few dowels. ... snip

Thanks, Bob.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

If the garage was built correctly, there is already a footer and
foundation under the door edge of the slab. Many builders cheap out
and skip that part, and apparently many local codes don't require it.
Talk to local inspector, if such minor projects require a permit in
your area. ....snip

Appreciate the info; thanks.

--
Dave