Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default moving garage door to different wall

On Feb 9, 3:25*pm, Actor123 wrote:
Hi all:

Our driveway is in need of complete replacement and as part of our
discussions we are considering moving the driveway entirely to
possible free up room for a later addition to the house. *This would
involve keeping the same garage, but having the cars enter the garage
from what is now one of the "sides" of the garage. *So basically it
would mean moving the garage door to an adjacent (perpendicular) wall
from where it is now, and then pouring a new driveway to a new
opening. *I assume this can be accomplished by framing a brand new
opening on the side of the garage and just closing the existing hole
up. *Are there any major issues I am not aware of with this? *The only
thing I can possibly see is that the garage floor, which is now sloped
towards the existing opening for drainage, wouldn't be sloped
correctly for drainage anymore. *Is this a code issue? Because if not
I don't think this is something that would cause me great concern (the
house itself is up a foot from the base of the garage, so it'd be
protected from any major water issues.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Doesn't sound like a problem if done correctly. Unless you are
experienced in construction and know how to figure header sizes, don't
try it without professional advice. At a minimum get a couple bids
from contractors even if you don't plan to use one - they will
probably give good advice.

It will probably require a building permit.

Harry K