Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Not electrocuted

Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! How sweet it is! I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 1:45�am, Higgs Boson wrote:
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). �Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. �After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! �How sweet it is! �I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Congrats! I still remember the feeling I had when I first replaced a
breaker. It sent a ****-shiver down my spine. :-)

Hank ~~~still cautious
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! How sweet it is! I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 6:05*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). *Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. *After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! *How sweet it is! *I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute anything.

Yes, low-voltage...that why it's used where you might stand in a
puddle and press it, Homer! ; )
Posted to alt.home.repair

We had every confidence in you. You serve as an example for
people less skilled. Thank you for writing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new
doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought
the
place). Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I
threw
successive breakers. After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and
installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! How sweet it is! I could stand
out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That brings back memories of sanding some contacts in a
panel box. Working by flash light, while a friend held the
100 amp feed breaker aside so I could work. Talk about
trusting someone.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message

Congrats! I still remember the feeling I had when I first
replaced a
breaker. It sent a ****-shiver down my spine. :-)

Hank ~~~still cautious

Posted to alt.home.repair

16 VAC, typically, and shhh.... let him revel in success.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute
anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mmmm... burgers!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Villa" wrote in message

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't
electrocute anything.

Yes, low-voltage...that why it's used where you might stand
in a
puddle and press it, Homer! ; )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 06:05:51 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! How sweet it is! I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute anything.

It's "supposed" to be 16V, although I've measured 18V. A short can
destroy the transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). *Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. *After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! *How sweet it is! *I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute anything.

It's "supposed" to be 16V, although I've measured 18V. A short can
destroy the transformer.

Some are even as high as 24V AC

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell
(have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the
place). *Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw
successive breakers. *After isolating the right one,
I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a
handsome new doorbell!!! *How sweet it is! *I could stand out there
all day and push the lighted button.

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute anything.

It's "supposed" to be 16V, although I've measured 18V. A short can
destroy the transformer.

Even a 'stuck' door push can cause transformer burn out!
We have a relative, who mentioned that their door chime "Had been
buzzing for while but had now stopped"! Could I have look?
Found:
a) Transformer open, can't remember if it was primary or secondary.
Zero output.
b) Door bell push, exposed to weather, jammed in, making contact all
the time.
c) Can't recall exactly what, but also seem to recall something wrong
with the chime.
Fortunately had used parts; therefore no cost!- Hide quoted text -

"Fortunately had used parts; therefore no cost! "

For years my two-tone doorbell went BONK! instead of diiiiiing -
dooooong.

The solenoid was supposed to fire up for diiiiiing and then down for
dooooong.

It only fired up, so there was no chance of a dooooong.

The rubber grommets that the upper bar was supposed to float on were
shot, so the bar wouldn't vibrate.

When you pushed the button the solenoid would hit the upper bar and
just go BONK.

At some point I was bored and fixed it with some lube and a homemade
grommet. No cost and about a 1/2 hour's work.

Electrocuted from neutral [email protected] Home Repair 23 January 3rd 09 10:50 PM
electrocuted mm Home Repair 34 May 8th 06 11:34 PM
Texas Pastor Electrocuted During Baptism PaPaPeng Home Repair 13 November 6th 05 01:27 AM
Texas Pastor Electrocuted During Baptism PipeDown Home Repair 10 November 3rd 05 09:07 PM
Texas Pastor Electrocuted During Baptism The Real Bev Home Repair 0 November 2nd 05 02:48 AM