Combining extension cords?

Old June 24th 09, 02:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Combining extension cords?

I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.
Old June 24th 09, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Old June 24th 09, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "William Munny" wrote:
"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.
Old June 24th 09, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

Yeah, I know-- that's the way I do it. But I figured one of the Electrical
cops who lurk here would jump on me if I said that...

Old June 24th 09, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

Depending on the flexibility of the cord, the loop can pull tighter
with tension and create fairly sharp bends at the plugs, which is bad
for the cord. I make an extra turn when I'm doing that so the
friction between the cords is what takes the strain. If it's a
heavier gauge cord, it's less of a problem.

Old June 24th 09, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

YAbut the result will be less than 100 feet long:-))
Old June 24th 09, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.
Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

YAbut the result will be less than 100 feet long:-))

What's the big deal? If they didn't want you to daisy chain extension
cords, they would hard wire a long tail to a tool.

And multi strip plugs. Each one will plug in six more strips. The number
of final outlets is infinite.

Or so some people think...............................

Old June 24th 09, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message

I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

Depending on the flexibility of the cord, the loop can pull tighter
with tension and create fairly sharp bends at the plugs, which is bad
for the cord. I make an extra turn when I'm doing that so the
friction between the cords is what takes the strain. If it's a
heavier gauge cord, it's less of a problem.

The only downside I've run into when joining cords like that for use
with a moving tool (mower) is that the "lump" in the middle of the cords
tends to hang up on things far more often than a full length cord will.

I got a new B&D hedge trimmer last year and I like the fact that there's
no cord at all on it, just two plug prongs sticking out below the handle
and a built in lug to keep the extension cord in place so that a pull on
that cord won't disconnect the plug.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old June 25th 09, 03:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message

[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

Back to the OP question, two 50-foot 14 gauge cords are virtuallly the
same as a 100-foot 14 gauge cord. Do you know the wire gauge of the
two cords that you presently own??
Old June 25th 09, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
[...]

It'd take an infinite amount of time to collect infinite power strips,
and you'd need infinite space to put them in.

Then, some outlets would be infinitely far from the power source,
connected by an infinite length of wire, in infinitely many pieces
with infinitely many connectors. Expect an infinite voltage drop.

Now consider that infinity doesn't exist in the real world...