DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Combining extension cords? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/280951-combining-extension-cords.html)

k[_2_] June 24th 09 02:34 PM

Combining extension cords?

I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

William Munny June 24th 09 03:17 PM

Combining extension cords?

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Doug Miller June 24th 09 04:00 PM

Combining extension cords?

In article , "William Munny" wrote:
"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

William Munny June 24th 09 04:14 PM

Combining extension cords?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

Yeah, I know-- that's the way I do it. But I figured one of the Electrical
cops who lurk here would jump on me if I said that...

RicodJour June 24th 09 04:21 PM

Combining extension cords?

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

Depending on the flexibility of the cord, the loop can pull tighter
with tension and create fairly sharp bends at the plugs, which is bad
for the cord. I make an extra turn when I'm doing that so the
friction between the cords is what takes the strain. If it's a
heavier gauge cord, it's less of a problem.

LouB[_2_] June 24th 09 08:07 PM

Combining extension cords?

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

YAbut the result will be less than 100 feet long:-))

SteveB[_10_] June 24th 09 08:18 PM

Combining extension cords?

"LouB" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.
Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

YAbut the result will be less than 100 feet long:-))

What's the big deal? If they didn't want you to daisy chain extension
cords, they would hard wire a long tail to a tool.

And multi strip plugs. Each one will plug in six more strips. The number
of final outlets is infinite.

Or so some people think...............................

jeff_wisnia June 24th 09 09:53 PM

Combining extension cords?

"k" wrote in message

I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

Pffft. No need for that -- it's a simple enough matter to loop the cords
around each other at the junction to keep them from pulling apart.

Depending on the flexibility of the cord, the loop can pull tighter
with tension and create fairly sharp bends at the plugs, which is bad
for the cord. I make an extra turn when I'm doing that so the
friction between the cords is what takes the strain. If it's a
heavier gauge cord, it's less of a problem.

The only downside I've run into when joining cords like that for use
with a moving tool (mower) is that the "lump" in the middle of the cords
tends to hang up on things far more often than a full length cord will.

I got a new B&D hedge trimmer last year and I like the fact that there's
no cord at all on it, just two plug prongs sticking out below the handle
and a built in lug to keep the extension cord in place so that a pull on
that cord won't disconnect the plug.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

hr(bob) [email protected] June 25th 09 03:11 AM

Combining extension cords?

"k" wrote in message

[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

Back to the OP question, two 50-foot 14 gauge cords are virtuallly the
same as a 100-foot 14 gauge cord. Do you know the wire gauge of the
two cords that you presently own??

Harry L June 25th 09 03:27 AM

Combining extension cords?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
[...]

It'd take an infinite amount of time to collect infinite power strips,
and you'd need infinite space to put them in.

Then, some outlets would be infinitely far from the power source,
connected by an infinite length of wire, in infinitely many pieces
with infinitely many connectors. Expect an infinite voltage drop.

Now consider that infinity doesn't exist in the real world...

SAm E June 25th 09 03:31 AM

Combining extension cords?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[snip]

And multi strip plugs. Each one will plug in six more strips. The number
of final outlets is infinite.

Or so some people think...............................

I have infinity computers plugged into mine. They're all being used to
search for real evidence of God's existence.

:-)

Gary H[_4_] June 25th 09 03:45 AM

Combining extension cords?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[snip]

And multi strip plugs. Each one will plug in six more strips. The number
of final outlets is infinite.

Or so some people think...............................

Starting with a duplex receptacle, the formula is:

O = S (N - 1) + 2

Whe

O = total number of outlets
S = number of power strips
N = number of outlets per power strip

Where N is always 6, here's some values of O (for a given S):

0 2
1 7
2 12
3 17
4 22
5 27
6 32
7 37
8 42
9 47
10 52

But you wanted:

O = infinity * (6 - 1) + 2

BTW, this is true even for those too stupid to figure out where the
"-1" came from.

Gary H[_4_] June 25th 09 03:52 AM

Combining extension cords?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:17:13 -0400, "William Munny"
wrote:

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

Matters not as long as the wire gauge is heavy enough to avoid current
drop-- though you might want to pick up a locking device for the wire
junction so you don't keep pulling it apart.

There's a better way. You need:

1. short extension cord (suitable for mower)
2. power strip (with 4-8 outlets)
3. duct tape

Use #3 to attach #2 to the mower handle.
Plug #2 into #2.
Use #1 to connect the mower to #2.

Everything's plugged in so it must work :-)

If it doesn't work, trace the problem and see if you can explain why
it's not working. If you really understand that, it'll be of great
benefit to you in the future.

SteveB[_10_] June 25th 09 04:03 AM

Combining extension cords?

"Harry L" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "William Munny"
wrote:
"k" wrote in message
[...]

I can see you haven't met my wife. I've found birdsnest configurations of
extension cords and MOS's (some extension cords going to another MOS) and I
just cringe. Her attitude is, "Oh, look, there's two empty plugs, and I
need to plug in a crock pot and an iron."

Steve

SteveB[_10_] June 25th 09 04:04 AM

Combining extension cords?

"Sam E" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[snip]

And multi strip plugs. Each one will plug in six more strips. The number
of final outlets is infinite.

Or so some people think...............................

I have infinity computers plugged into mine. They're all being used to
search for real evidence of God's existence.

:-)

Well, some things are applied to good causes.

Steve

SteveB[_10_] June 25th 09 04:05 AM

Combining extension cords?

"Gary H" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:18:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Fergeddabout the -1, where does the O come from?

SteveB[_10_] June 25th 09 04:08 AM

Combining extension cords?

The only downside I've run into when joining cords like that for use with
a moving tool (mower) is that the "lump" in the middle of the cords tends
to hang up on things far more often than a full length cord will.

Don't know how things are at your house, but at mine, it's a hard and fast
rule that if there is ANYTHING for a cord to hang up on, that cord will seek
it out, and not come unhung no matter how many times you flip the cord. You
must physically walk all the way back and free it from this 1/2" protrusion
or tiny tiny stub of a root.

1D10T[_2_] June 25th 09 05:27 AM

Combining extension cords?

"k" wrote in message
I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

If you're as clumsy as I am, you'll wind up with 94' in 11 segments. The
other 6' will be used to make the repair splices.

mm June 25th 09 04:37 PM

Combining extension cords?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 05:34:53 -0700 (PDT), k wrote:

I bought a B&D 12 amp electric mower that I need a 100 feet of
extension cord for. Would it be advisable to combine two cords, which
I already have, for the 100 feet or do I need to get a 100' cord?

Thanks.

I just got a 12 amp mower myself last Sunday, and today I'm going to
get the replacement part that it needs to not vibrate.

I see now problem, if your cords are less than 30 years old, but if
there were a problem especially with something more than 30 years old
it would be that the socket didn't grip the prongs tightly. This can
happen with an indoor extension cord too, because there are lots of
things which use 8 or 12 amps or more. And in my case, by plugging a
heater into a receptacle that was 50 years old, made in 1930.

If you hold the connection in your hand and it's warm at all, it
shouldn't be. Usually it's enough to bend one of the prongs so that
it squeezes on the socket more.

In my case, I was sleeping when the hard rubber plug on the heater
cord got hot enough to flame, an inch or two high. It was morning and
I woke up. I pulled out the plug and it stopped burning for some
reason.

But of course outside, with a normal lawn, you're not going to set
fire to anything and if in a million to one shot, you melt the plug or
socket you can buy another one.

Mark Lloyd June 25th 09 05:08 PM

Combining extension cords?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:37:37 -0400, mm
wrote:

[snip]

I see now problem, if your cords are less than 30 years old, but if
there were a problem especially with something more than 30 years old
it would be that the socket didn't grip the prongs tightly. This can
happen with an indoor extension cord too, because there are lots of
things which use 8 or 12 amps or more. And in my case, by plugging a
heater into a receptacle that was 50 years old, made in 1930.

I found one old receptacle (in an old hospital building) that wouldn't
accept plugs unless you bend both prongs inward, and hold them that
way while inserting the plug.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Jon Danniken[_2_] June 26th 09 01:15 AM

Combining extension cords?

mm wrote:

In my case, I was sleeping when the hard rubber plug on the heater
cord got hot enough to flame, an inch or two high. It was morning and
I woke up. I pulled out the plug and it stopped burning for some
reason.

Aye, what's the dealio with that, anyway? I don't think I've ever come
across a little bathroom/space heater that didn't get the plug uncomfortably
warm, if not downright hot.

Seems to be a pretty big safety issue that isn't addressed.

Jon

Jim Yanik June 26th 09 03:58 AM

Combining extension cords?

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

mm wrote:

In my case, I was sleeping when the hard rubber plug on the heater
cord got hot enough to flame, an inch or two high. It was morning
and I woke up. I pulled out the plug and it stopped burning for some
reason.

Aye, what's the dealio with that, anyway? I don't think I've ever
come across a little bathroom/space heater that didn't get the plug
uncomfortably warm, if not downright hot.

Seems to be a pretty big safety issue that isn't addressed.

Jon

excessive contact resistance in the plug/socket.
and often,the wire just as it exits the plug molding gets flexed a lot and
individual strands break and the wire loses current capability.

I like to use medical plugs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik